Batches of Basil

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have 2 types of basil in our garden I would like to scrounge up some walnuts as pine nuts are expensive and make a few batches . Both bushes have has flowered a few times. I live in Hawaii and this is our first garden living
here. I am at 80 plus mid day and 60 plus night year round with LOTS of heavy rain. I need to know if pesto freezes well in a freezer container and does anyone have an inexpensive recipe that can provide multiple batches. Also how long would it freeze? I will check Walmart to see if any walnuts have come in from mainland.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ooh ... if you can't find walnuts how about trying macadamia nuts ... just as an experiment ... just for me, as I couldn't ever afford it ... but I bet it would be terrific! Pesto freezes really well; the olive oil keeps it from turning yucky brown, as basil would without the oil. I usually do it in icecube trays, and take out a cube at a time when I want/need it. But I hve had gifts given me, larger amounts in freezer containers; they work well too, just need to chip the pesto out with a knife. If using larger containers I would suggest "flat" rather than "deep" - easier to chip :lol:.
Congratulations on your basil harvest. I would think, with your temperatures, that you could keep it growing all year; have you tried?

ETA: Just re-read your post, and your question about freezer time. I have kept pesto in the freezer from harvest to the the next year's harvest with no problem.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Basil pureed in olive oil freezes great, just put it in ziploc baggies in a thinnish layer so you can break off pieces of the frozen 'slab' as needed.

I would suggest leaving out the nuts, cheese and garlic til you thaw it and want to use it, though, as they do not benefit from freezing. You *can* freeze completely-made pesto, it is not horrible or anything, but tastier and the nutty bits have less-soggy texture if you wait on them.

Almonds make a good pine nut substitute as well, btw, and do not affect the final flavor as much. (I like walnut pesto just fine, but it does taste distinctly like walnuts)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Nuts are definitely interchangeable. I'm going to try sunflower seeds as mentioned above! I've used walnuts, pecans and pine nuts. I'll have to try almonds, too :)

Just use the pesto part of this recipe if desired:
Basil Pesto Breadallrecipes.com
3 cups fresh basil leaves
cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled
cup toasted pine nuts
cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread
3 Roma (plum) tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, sliced

In a blender or food processor, puree the basil leaves, olive oil and garlic. Mix in the pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Continue processing until desired consistency is reached. Preheat the broiler.
Slice Italian bread to desired thickness. Spread a layer of pesto on each slice. Top with Roma (plum) tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Place topped bread slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Broil 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

Pesto Del Solallrecipes.com
1 cup packed fresh spinach
1 cup packed fresh basil
3/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup walnuts
24 small black olives
4 cloves garlic
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1 cup olive oil
1 dash black pepper

Puree all in blender. Enjoy!

Pesto
2 peeled garlic cloves
cup pine nuts
teaspoon salt
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup fresh, firmly packed basil leaves, washed and dried

Using a blender, place all ingredients in blend and puree until smooth. Can be frozen in ice cube trays, then bags for winter use.

I know you're looking to use up basil, but I just have to add this absolutely wonderful pesto recipe!:

Lemon Artichoke Pesto
cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 medium garlic cloves
4 T lemon juice
teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup walnuts
cup canola oil
cup olive oil
8 ounces frozen artichokes, thawed and chopped
cup grated parmesan
salt to taste

Place all ingredients but artichokes and cheese in blender. Pulse until smooth. Gently stir in artichokes and parmesan cheese.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
SO makes his pesto without the nuts and freezes it in small containers. He puts a thin layer of olive oil on top, to prevent discoloration. We've had it last a year, so far. We also foodsaver it, after it has frozen solid in the small container. It is easy to add the nuts in, when you are ready to serve the pesto. We always do, because SO doesn't like the nust in the pesto.

BTW, home dried basil has store bought dried basil beat by far. If you dry it, don't break it up too much when you go to store it. Then when your are ready to use it, crumble it up in your hands and the oils will be released at the time of use.

ETA: Basil flowers are edible. They are a little sweeter than the leaves. And they make a lovely tea.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you all for such a wealth of info !
Denise: How do you make the tea? Can it be made with 2 different type basil plants/flowers? Must I dry my flowers first? Any ideas on how to dry the flowers. I imagine I need a screen and somewhere dry to put them.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got a friend who freezes her chopped up basil in an old ice cube tray. Ready portioned sizes for her pasta!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We put our basil flowers on an old window screen and set it in a warm shed until they are brittle. Then I put them in crock, so they don't get any light on them, or they'll loose their color. I just make tea like any other herbal tea. I'm sure you can also use them fresh, the same as you can use fresh mint for tea.
I just poor boiling water over them and let them steep for a few minutes. I like my tea unsweetened. It is a very mild flavor.

Latest posts