Battery boxes or cabnits

cathunter10

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I need to build a battery box on my back deck.Have any of you got plans or Ideas for a box that will hold 14 to 16 batterys?
Thank you
Bill

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you are referring to battery cages, you may not get much assistance here and most of the people here believe that a chicken deserves to behave like a chicken and use coops and runs. It's mostly because that small contained spaces often lead to issues (mental, physical and hygenic (sp?)) with the critters.

I wish you good luck on you quest for information. You may be able to use some of the university websites to get plans for battery cages.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Gina,

I think you are on track. This is in the solar power section.

cat,

Do you have a garage or shed you could put them in? I think they need to be easily accessible for maintenance.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It would be me that is WAY off track then. LOL I should have checked first. I usually just go into the threads that I haven't read and ASSUME that I know what it's about. Well, we all know what happens when you assume :smack :duc :idunno

cathunter10

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Dacjohns Iam to far from my other buildings My deck sets right by my electrical box about three feet of line to run my panels will be mounted on the deck roof I have all ready put more reinforsment under the deck to compensate for the added waight of the batterys I want to buil my box large enough for the inverter and control box and still be able to lock every thing up.
Bill

cathunter10

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Gina, for the post, & drawings.

We live in New Mexico so, freezing is not a problem hence, no need for insulation. We are on a covered deck already so we would use a flattop roof. My questions is: would 2x4's be strong enough for the weight of the shelvings for the batteries?

Regards, Bill

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Definitely not an experienced person in this field whatsoever, but we have used deep cell batteries to hold a charge when we had an off grid camp up north. Just one of those suckers was about 80#. There has got to be some guidelines that could tell you what type of weight bearing shelves you would need.I'm sure 2x4s would work, but they would need to be reinforced quite frequently depending on how many you plan on using.