Battery boxes or cabnits

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was trying to pick my dh brain a bit. He builds Cell sites which usually have battery back up. He said they have to be off the ground, something abut the ground being a negative and drawing power, and they usually use steel racks. We have batteries. They weigh about 100 lbs each. I googled solar battery racks and found a few examples of you. Just maybe something to get ideas from.

gina

http://www.etaengineering.com/batteries/battrack.shtml

cathunter10

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you Tankshill.From every thing I have found it apperse to me that I will have to build a battery rack to place the batterys on then build a incloser around them,I was hopeing to incorperate it all in one.I am still open for sugestions and Ideas But I now have a basic plan.
Bill

ron45

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
If you are using the batteries in an off grid application, and if you are in an area with winters, know that your batt will have it's storage capacity reduced by cold temps. They will give better service indoors in a box vented to the outside. Perhaps you have a closet or a corner you could enclose to make a place for them. I have lived off grid with batteries indoors since 1983.

If you are using lead acid batts and plan on a rack be sure to leave adequate room for the hygrometer between the shelves.

Ron

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are several questions here that beg discussion. One is the issue of racks. One good neighbor here sent a link to a site that shows an exquisite 24 battery set up for an off grid system similar to my own. I was very impressed with the layout and construction of this. Might be worth the money and trouble to do a similar approach.
The AGM batteries I use (24 of them) weight 93 lbs each so we are talking about over a ton of weight. A deck is not really an ideal place for such a load and will eventually succumb to the added weight due to the concentrated weight distribution and location. Such a weight should be firmly sitting on a level section of concrete or blocks.

The comment about having enough room for the maintenance equipment is sound advice and the picture you see in that link gives a good spacing for the battery bank you see there. http://www.etaengineering.com/batteries/battrack.shtml My batteries are no-maintenance batteries which were more expensive up front but less hassle in the long run since I have to be out of the house so much.

Another question was "will 2x4 be strong enough to support the batteries"? and when constructing such an item it would be smarter to go with steel and avoid the vagaries of wood when it comes to weaknesses. Yes, 2x4 will hold them but they have to be properly engineered so they don't weaken. Steel is just plain easier in the long run either welding it or bolted together with adequate grade 8 bolts. I went to a store called Menards and they had some very inexpensive steel shelves rated to hold 1500 pounts each. They have 3 levels so I can get all my batteries on the one rack space. Probably much less expensive than what the picture shows but probably adequate.

If freezing is NOT a problem you still need to be certain that you have adequate ventillation when you use lead/acid batteries. If not your safety is in question. THe gases generated are lethal and flammable/explosive as well. Both portend undesirable outcomes if not properly managed.