1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Baymule's 2019 Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by baymule, Mar 15, 2019.

1. May 16, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

No definite answer re: time, @baymule . It all depends on ambient temps, and what you got cooking.

The water will turn black, the weeds will get slimy, and there may be a film of oil on the top. If you stir it, you will release a cess pool stench! For heaven's sake, don't put your nose over it! Just decant some water off the top, dilute it with more water if you want, and water your plants with it.

One good thing about this method: it rots the weeds before they can take root and start growing again. You can really start using it any time the water darkens up. You either need to keep it covered, or dump and start over to keep mosquitoes from breeding in it.

Some people brew this mess in a 55 gal drum, and keep adding weeds, and topping off with water. They may even have a spigot in the barrel to make it easier to "harvest" the juice.

I'm not so sophisticated. I just toss the weeds into a bucket, and if the rain doesn't fill it, the hose does. I let it brew for a while, then... if mosquito larvae get started, I dump the bucket and start over. I imagine one could even put a mosquito dunk in their bucket or barrel.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    baymule likes this.
  2. May 16, 2019
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

The sheep have cleaned the clover and fescue from pasture #2 I'm about to pull them and mow it so the Bermuda can come on up. I have lambs quarters about 3 feet tall in the garden, thinking about cutting it with hedge clippers and feeding them to the sheep. They love that stuff. There will still be plenty to make weed tea, LOL.

I've been watching weeds, bugs don't eat a lot of them. Would the weed tea persuade the bugs to bite, chew and suck juices elsewhere? I've been thinking about juicing some to make a spray, but the weed tea might work just as well. Hmmm......

3. May 16, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Interesting thought process. We are inundated with creeping charlie here. Bugs won't touch that. It has a strong minty/musky smell. I bet that might confuse the bugs.

4. May 17, 2019
    baymule

Why don't we both try making bug spray and compare notes?

sumi and Lazy Gardener like this.
  5. May 17, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

I will after the garden is up and running. Why don't you start a thread in the gardening section "Natural insect control". And we can post our results there. I'm running to and fro this time of the year, chasing my tail, and trying to get everything done in a timely order to get the garden up and running.

sumi likes this.
  6. May 19, 2019
    baymule

I'll have plenty of "natural" material available, mmy garden looks like a jungle. :hit

7. May 19, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Don't gag on that weed tea. I made some by mistake once. Pulling weeds and placing into a 5 gallon buck to toss out of the garden. I mistakenly left a buck full of weeds, then it rained. It was a good week by the time it dried out enough to get the bucket. Talking about something nasty...

8. May 19, 2019
    baymule

Worse than wet chicken/pig poop?

9. May 19, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I believe so, yes.

10. May 20, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Yes, it's worse than wet manure. It is absolutely... gag a maggot... DISGUSTING! But... it's fertilizer, it turns the weeds into a useful end product instead of letting them take root after being pulled... or go to seed after being pulled!