Baymule's 3rd Lambing

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I currently have a Dinner in the flock that is ready to go.....and naturally he is the sweetest of them all! I think he knows what his name means and he is buttering me up......but he will still get buttered up his self.....

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Aww, he is so cute! And what a wonderful experience, seeing the birth. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some of my lambs

F1463677-DEA1-436B-AEAA-E45950E44B7C.jpeg

AAEBE41A-3FF8-4CF9-9B3F-CD943FD7CA8B.jpeg

39D8CC6F-5873-4209-BA1A-6991B3BCBBA7.jpeg

42D57C29-6E26-4540-BC71-D16442C26511.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just listed them on Craigslist. I am keeping 2 ewe lambs and 1 ram lamb. The 1st picture is a ewe lamb born 1-18-18, the 2nd picture is a ram lamb born 12-15-17 and the 3rd picture is a ram lamb born 12-31-17.

I'll get some pictures of the ones I'm keeping. The ram lamb I am keeping is shedding out and will be slick haired. Most of mine keep that felt wool on them and look raggedy. Some will let me pluck them, but most don't like me pulling on their wool.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I selected a ram lamb to keep for a flock sire, his name is Speckles, for the tiny black specks scattered down his sides.

I had the two other ram lambs that I wasn't going to keep. Keeping them as rams instead of wethers was a pain. I really don't have enough pastures to keep weaned ewes, weaned ram lambs, and the ewe flock all separated. Normally I keep the lambs to slaughter size and sell them as meat. But I didn't want to keep the ram lambs that long and there was a ewe lamb that I didn't want to add to my flock.

So I entered into the realm of Craigslist to sell them. I got a few inquiries, but nothing happened. Last night I bumped up my ad, within minutes I got an inquiry, we struck a deal and he was going to be here at 9 AM to pick them up. We went out this morning, separated, moved the ewes to the pipeline pasture, penned lambs and put up a cow panel loading chute. Then we waited. An hour went by and I sent an email to him. No answer. Starting to get ticked off. DH went to the neighbor's to help with building the porch, I weeded the garden.

I got an email at 12 noon that he was on his way. DH called him after another freaking hour went by....he had forgotten the money and had to go back home to get it. Finally, after 1:30, he showed up. I loathe, hate and despise lateness. What I really wanted to do was pinch his head off for not showing the courtesy of a text or phone call. But I really wanted to see those ram lambs gone, so instead I smiled and chewed my tongue off, being nice instead of letting him have the full force of my wrath.

He was driving a brand new van. No trailer. Huh? I mean, I have done terrible things to my vehicles, but never have I ever loaded up 3 sheep in a brand new vehicle. It even smelled new, but I bet it smells like lamb poop and pee now! LOL He turned out to be a nice guy, even if a bit rude for not communicating.

We loaded up the ram lambs through the chute. The ewe lambs were penned separately, so he caught the ewe lamb and walked her to the van. I helped push her in, while holding the ram lambs in, and they were loaded! He had already paid for them, so we visited a few minutes and he said to call him when we have lambs again. So, at 2:40 he left. That's a far cry from 9 AM. What a day.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did his name start with a "B"? I've sold a lot of goats to a guy who is ALWAYS late - sometimes never shows up at all and NEVER calls to say he's running late or not coming. I don't answer his calls anymore. I'd give goats away before I'd sell him anything else...