Baymule's Pigs 2018 HEREFORDS!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wanted to add a little story about cresol light poles that i see your working with. I had a good friend and fellow sawmiller in North Carolina who just about died sawing and squaring up a bunch of old cresol treated light poles. Come to find out he was highly allergic to cresol and sawing on a sawmill you can't help but breath some sawdust because we'll a sawmill makes a lot of saw dust. He spent two weeks in the hospital because some of the dust got into his lungs. He broke out in a severe rash and had to be put on a ventilator so he could breathe. The doctor told his wife to take his clothes and burn them and the inside of his truck had to be cleaned real well including the cabin air filter changed. I moved and cleaned his sawmill and burned the sawdust pile.

He sawed for many years, all different kinds of trees. But this was the first time he sawed light poles and he found out the hard way he is highly allergic to cresol.

I'm somewhat allergic to black walnut (break out in itchy hives) but nothing like my buddy is to cresol.

If you got itchy while chainsawing those cresol light poles. It could be your also allergic to cresol. Come to find out from my buddy cresol allergy is pretty common. So be careful around it and try and not breathe any of the sawdust. I would hate to read that someone had to go to the hospital because of it.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @CrealCritter for that information. We were unharmed by cutting the poles and now knowing that, we will definitely be careful with them. We have more projects......LOL

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @CrealCritter for that information. We were unharmed by cutting the poles and now knowing that, we will definitely be careful with them. We have more projects......LOL

Glad you guys are not allergic. Nothing wrong with spent light poles unless the try and kill you :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A few days ago, our neighbor Robert and DH set a railroad cross tie for a corner post. I was babysitting the little grands. So tried to get a picture with the big strong HE-MAN guys, showing off their work, and the girls. The 3 year old was more interested in her stick and the 18 month old resisted having to stop long enough for a picture. She was screaming a hissy fit. LOL LOL

ADBE9F3D-9BA9-45B2-8AF4-5B334EFA3859.jpeg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A few days ago, our neighbor Robert and DH set a railroad cross tie for a corner post. I was babysitting the little grands. So tried to get a picture with the big strong HE-MAN guys, showing off their work, and the girls. The 3 year old was more interested in her stick and the 18 month old resisted having to stop long enough for a picture. She was screaming a hissy fit. LOL LOL

View attachment 6493

Good looking family.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Notice the rubber boots both girls are wearing? They LOVE those boots! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today I had errands to do, including ordering the metal for the Sheep barn roof. Had to get car inspected, get tags, go to Tyler to pay for my metal order, plus a few other things. It was 2:00 when I got home.

I was determined to work on pig pen, so I did. My husband and son in law are on a trip to the Grand Canyon, stopping to see the sights along the way. They are having a blast together. It was our son in laws idea and I’m so happy for both of them.

Anyway, I formulated my plans, according to what was in my pile of lumber. I found 2x8s mostly 8 feet long, some shorter. I pulled them out of a roll off dumpster some years back, pulled the nails out, they had been used for setting concrete forms. Perfect for what I wanted today. I needed 12’ lengths, so I cut an 8’ in half which gave me 12’ added to the 2x8. I cut a 5’ 2x8 in half and used it to cleat my newly made 12’ board together.

Then I had to raise it to screw to the poles. I positioned 2 ladders, lifted one end, set it on a ladder, then the other end.

1EA379A2-CCBF-4118-9EB6-1EC3C48463A7.jpeg

I put a level on top to check my very own brand of Scrapology. Not too bad, not level, but better than I thought!

51B52DFB-CEAB-4D98-A069-BAFE4D367B2E.jpeg

You can see where I patched it together. Short board? Need a long board? No problem!

FA138E29-3E96-400B-A282-FEC93ED3F4C1.jpeg

I got both of them up.

136B658F-F232-440C-8852-C24DF5219AA0.jpeg

I loaded up the back of the mule with 8’ 2x4 Lowes rejects. I loaded up cut offs 2x4’s from the Sheep barn roof. Tomorrow I’ll manufacture 12’ 2x4’s and set them on 16” centers for rafters. Then I’ll be scrounging for decking. I have tar paper-a Craigslist score from when we built the barn. Also have some used 10’ corrugated tin. Hmmm... need 12’ tin. No problem! Back at it tomorrow!