BBrooks kidding thread - PICS!! & morning update

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
awww. There is nothing cuter than babies. any babies. I love when they start hoping around out in the pasture. Sooooo cute.

awwwwww :love

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Loooooong night.
Mama is loving on her baby, but not letting her nurse.
So, we brought the baby inside for the night, put mama out in the regular barn, and I got up every two hours and fed her 2 ounces of colostrum I had milked off.
The milking is a miracle in and of itself.
This doe has pitched a FIT, every time I have tried to touch her anywhere other then the top of her head. And even that was only allowed once in awhile.
Of all things, she stands perfectly still and lets me milk her :th
When does that happen to anyone, I ask you?

So this morning, I milked (tiny teats by the way :rolleyes: ) a little over a cup off her, then set the baby under her to nurse. Nursed like a champ for a few seconds, and now I have them back in the nursery for the day. I fed her another 2 ounce bottle, and will check on her in a couple of hours and observe for a bit to see if she needs another bottle or not.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If the kid is getting the hang of nursing I'd let it go a little hungry before you go out with a bottle. I'm sure you're thinking along those lines anyway, but figured I'd mention it.

Isn't it amazing how they surprise us with their 'tudes?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
glenolam said:
If the kid is getting the hang of nursing I'd let it go a little hungry before you go out with a bottle. I'm sure you're thinking along those lines anyway, but figured I'd mention it.

Isn't it amazing how they surprise us with their 'tudes?
She knows how to nurse, but mama keeps pulling away the instant she connects :(

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
:ya Mama is letting her nurse now!

So question. Rather then have her producing enough for just the one doe, could I promote a higher output if I milk her once per day?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would milk her BB - with only one baby she ought to produce plenty to share with you.