Beans....to soak or not to soak is the question....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Soaking removes Phytates, and prevents gas, which is the beans fermenting in the belly, something that we should prevent occurring. Not at all healthy. Very hard on the stomach lining and the intestine.
Phytates are what cause grains, seeds and nuts to sprout. They cause cavitations and gastric distress, and over time, whether or not we realize it, slowly cause leaky gut to occur.

Many people will say that they have no issues with such things.
But, I cannot begin to count the number of elderly people I know that have trouble digesting things.

Don't stress about today's beans though. Enjoy them, and then soak a huge batch of beans, then freeze them for easy prep in the future.
Science has recently proven that using an acid that contains calcium is not effective at soaking properly, so vinegar or lemon juice are better choices, over whey or other dairy products.
Just add a glug to your beans that are well covered in water, and soak for 12-24 hours.
I thought phytates were what kept them from sprouting?

Thanks for the info about the calcium; I didn't know that, and have been using whey. It will be vinegar in the future.
Yes, you are right. I should wait to post until I am fully awake!
That is the reason they are so devastating to our insides.
this is also the reason that sprouting is so effective at removing them!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So what should I be soaking them in anyway? From the sounds of it I should include some kind of acidity like vinegar, lemon juice, etc? If so, how much is the ratio of acidity to water?

PS......btw Bubblingbrooks, I noticed your DH has become a member here too. It was kinda hard to miss 'MrBubblingbrooks' & I just had to laugh :lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
So what should I be soaking them in anyway? From the sounds of it I should include some kind of acidity like vinegar, lemon juice, etc? If so, how much is the ratio of acidity to water?

PS......btw Bubblingbrooks, I noticed your DH has become a member here too. It was kinda hard to miss 'MrBubblingbrooks' & I just had to laugh :lol:
:lol:
Yes, he still needs to introduce himself.

use 2-3 cups of water per cup of beans, and add a glug of vinegar. A glug is usually enough for a pretty big bowl of beans.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll get them soaking in a bit to be ready for tomorrow's chili & cornbread.........

What about rinsing after the soaking & before cooking...do I need too? And more importantly....do they taste 'pickled'???

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Thanks for the info, I'll get them soaking in a bit to be ready for tomorrow's chili & cornbread.........

What about rinsing after the soaking & before cooking...do I need too? And more importantly....do they taste 'pickled'???
Drain and rinse for sure. and no, they do not taste pickled. You can use lemon juice if you are concerned.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I drain and rinse after every step: soak, drain, rinse then cook in new water, drain, rinse then add to whatever I'm cooking.

Or soak, drain, rinse, then cook briefly in new water, drain, rinse, then into canning jars for pressure canning, cover with new boiling water and lids/rings then into the pressure canner. Saves so much time to be able to pull a jar of beans down from the cupboard to pull together a quick healthy dinner :)