Bear Meat

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
IME, bear tastes similar to beef, but cook it like pork. It is a fattier meat, and quite delicious and tender. As opposed to what BBrooks says, you need to cook the meat well. If it is undercooked, it can cause trichinosis, which is caused by a parasite that bear and pig can have. Here is more info on it. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/

When we lived up north, bear was a staple in our house. And as long as it wasn't a garbage bear,it will be delicious.

Yo don't realy need special recipes, but if yo tel us what cut it is, we can give you some pointers. but definitely take what you can get. I mess having bear meat in my freezer.
mmmm, 150 in the oven, and cover to rest for 15 minutes (brings the temp up more) will kill the trich just fine.
I have been cooking and eating bear for a long time.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yeah we did too, but I always erred on the side of caution and cooked it well, just like pork. Never had a bad cut of bear.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
IME, bear tastes similar to beef, but cook it like pork. It is a fattier meat, and quite delicious and tender. As opposed to what BBrooks says, you need to cook the meat well. If it is undercooked, it can cause trichinosis, which is caused by a parasite that bear and pig can have. Here is more info on it. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/

When we lived up north, bear was a staple in our house. And as long as it wasn't a garbage bear,it will be delicious.

Yo don't realy need special recipes, but if yo tel us what cut it is, we can give you some pointers. but definitely take what you can get. I mess having bear meat in my freezer.
Thanks miss_thenorth! I'll have to find out what cuts they are. All he said was he had some steaks and roasts. :hu

And thank you for the info on trichinosis; I had never even heard of such a thing, so definately good to know. I did notice that it said for whole cuts of meat, you want an internal temp of 145. I don't think it would be a problem to slow cook it at a lower temp, as long as the internal temp got high enough in the end. I did notice that curing and drying were not enough to kill the parasite. I wonder if I froze it first for a few weeks if that would do?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Somewher in my memory, I believe I read thta if you froze the meat for two weeks, parasties would be killed. At tleast that is the theory we follow. When we make jerky or pepperoni etc, we always freeze the meat for two weeks first.

And as far a bear meat is concerned, many times I have just thrown a bear roast into thslowcooker frozen, slowcooked it all day and had bear in grav and potastoes for supper. There really is no need to get all fancy with the recipes, unless you want to. It really is a good meat.

Latest posts