BEAR

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Friday night we were driving home, and just before Bateman road about 4km from our house a huge freaking blackbear loped across the road!

freaky man, real freaky.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I knowwww... we don't typically get them down here except when the cottagers come up and litter up the place, the bears come around and raid the garbage. You're supposed to report them to fish and game when they're in town (which it was, just on the edge of a village) but it went from forest to forest so I reckoned it wasn't likely it was going to go right into town.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Black bears scare me more than anything. Because they get accustomed to humans so easily...but can snap in an instant. Be carefull!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow, I thought bears were pretty common up there.
My aunt owns several blueberry meadows up near Grand Rapids MN, bears are pretty common up there (then again.. bears like blueberries), there was even one found in St. Paul or so the other week.

I'm glad you weren't hurt!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I saw tracks when I was walking my dog last week.....on the very back of my property! There is one that crosses the xmas tree farm next door and raids bird feeders of the inexperienced. I stay away from the tree line and stay in the open for a couple weeks after a sighting, then I start to forget and relax again on my walks!

And I am in suburbia, within sight of McD's and the big grocery store in town, plus a couple of strip plaza's!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We have them here quite often...opened my backdoor once to a bear 10 ft from the door...ran into one walking back from my mailbox last summer...I really just leave them alone and they leave me alone, don't mind having them around really, but it does get a little scary in the spring when the kids have to walk that 1/4 mile walk up our road to catch the schoolbuses. During that time we drive them. But the kids still walk back after dark at night sometimes and they don't seem too worried:>)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Black bears are sneaky...LOL-LOL
they can be "right near you" and you don't even know it.
While blackberry picking in PA.....I left the bushes and got up on the porch and out of the patch ambled a big momma bear and cubs.
YIKES!!!!!

And one night I put my dog tied out back and it freaked and barked and squeaked like a little girl, opened the basement door and Major flew in like lightening, all the while shaking....hmm...a bear in his face, I am sure and he wasn't up to that challenge..HA HA

bears are big in New Jersey now....kinda like the coyote.....hang around in residential areas. But we must co-exist (somehow???)

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Friday night we were driving home, and just before Bateman road about 4km from our house a huge freaking blackbear loped across the road!

freaky man, real freaky.
My mother went up to Canada once on a camping trip with relatives and they took a picture of her feeding a pair of black bears right there in the camp. I told her that she was a walking talking example of "Do what I say, not what I do." Crazy woman.