Beat the heat.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Daddy said as a boy growing up, his mother would use the sprinkler bottle from the ironing, to sprinkle the bedsheets, then run a fan. The evaporation would have a cooling effect so they could go to sleep. I’ve done that, it works.
Another option with the same principal is to wet the curtains. Cheaper than a swamp cooler, much cheaper than ac. I say were almost all born with the ability to handle the weather and walk barefoot. It's the years of ac and wearing shoes that makes us soft. 40 years ago ac was rare here and nobody thought anything of it. Some countries hotter than the U.S. it's still rare because they can't afford it and couldn't afford the electricity if they could, yet they make it through better than us if we lose electricity. I was thinking about that lately when every time it gets over 100 they tell everyone to stay inside.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Another option with the same principal is to wet the curtains. Cheaper than a swamp cooler, much cheaper than ac. I say were almost all born with the ability to handle the weather and walk barefoot. It's the years of ac and wearing shoes that makes us soft. 40 years ago ac was rare here and nobody thought anything of it. Some countries hotter than the U.S. it's still rare because they can't afford it and couldn't afford the electricity if they could, yet they make it through better than us if we lose electricity. I was thinking about that lately when every time it gets over 100 they tell everyone to stay inside.

overweight people do not have the same tolerance for heat. if you look at the stats for obesity that should answer your question as to why there would be recommendations for staying inside and using the AC. i consider it a self-reinforcing negative feedback loop and getting out of it is not easy for most people. :(

i'm doing better this year compared to last but it is also going a lot more slowly because i'm living with someone with less tolerance.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i consider it a self-reinforcing negative feedback loop
yea ditto.

I work with some pretty big ol' boys (300# +) that'll weld in the heat all day. They do prefer working up north though. ;) :lol: It's still getting used to the ac, or the heat. Get used to the ac, then use more ac, your loop you mentioned. I'm fine in most any heat if I don't go in the ac during the day, then I can't handle it after that. Lunch in the shade instead of inside and I'm good all day.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm fine in most any heat if I don't go in the ac during the day, then I can't handle it after that. Lunch in the shade instead of inside and I'm good all day.
Which is how they did it years ago!! Hand fans, loose cotton clothing, wide brimmed hats. You acclimate....you sweat😁

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I still don't have AC.... except in the car.... couple of fans in the house... I also do not go inside into AC when I am working outside... cooler spot under a tree or near a fan.... cool water compress on the wrists and back of the neck... I could not go out into the barns and/or get on the tractor if I was inside in AC... DS has AC ( to some degree) in a couple of the cab tractors because mowing with the discbine it is a MUST to use a cab tractor just in case any of the blades fly off the discbine... and they do once in a while... better to hit the cab or back window than the person.... and he uses the cab tractor to round bale as the dust is really bad....I got nearly sick in the one cab tractor doing the tedding this morning... and that was with the ac and fan blowing directly down towards me, and the windows behind me open to get air... it was cool air, not cold...

I came by and the one gas station went up $.22 on a gallon of gas... from 3.17 to 3.39...:ep:duc:hit
the other 2 stations were still 3.17....