Beat the heat.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its getting warm in Texas....specially for us working folk. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, drink lots of water and after work have an ice cold Michelob Ultra in a frosted glass with a lime wedge. Its better than iced tea!

Be careful tho, they go down like a fat kid on a seesaw

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The otherday i was stuck on a roof all day working on a package unit. Heat index was 110 and it was sunny! I started getting dizzy after a couple hours of pulling heavy tools up to the roof with a rope. I ate a teaspoon of table salt and slammed 2 bottled waters. Right as rain after that.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to go lay down in the shallow part of the irrigation ditch coming from the spring at Grandma's. It was cement with smooth pebbles in the surface. I vaguely remember helping put some of them in when I was a toddler and grandma decided to line it. The deep part of the ditch (4 foot) I wasn't allowed in when little because the irrigation pump could get a strong current going. When I was older it was just too muddy. We weren't allowed in the spring.

Sitting out under a sprinkler in the shade was one of the best ways to cool down. AC was too expensive. My parents house still doesn't cool down very easy.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I guess I’d go lay in the dirt under the porch with the dogs. No AC in a mobile home, it heats up fast. My neighbors have a Generac, so if an extended outage, I have somewhere to go.

You can stop worrying, I’ll be fine. ❤️❤️❤️
My parents were very poor, lived on a farm, no AC. My mom would get in the livestock water tank to cool off and then wear wet clothes.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beatin da heat again today. Bout time to put on some shorts and flip flops and water the garden. (It keeps me sane)

20190721_211809.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule I've been thinking of you these last two days. Well, all of you, from NE to the midwest to Texas....

Anyhoo, given that the heat is atrocious and some of your dogs suffer and the sheep kinda do, what is your plan should the power go out. Similar to the '20 blackout, which was in the winter, but now you're in the summer.

Just worrying from a distance.
I guess I’d go lay in the dirt under the porch with the dogs. No AC in a mobile home, it heats up fast. My neighbors have a Generac, so if an extended outage, I have somewhere to go.

You can stop worrying, I’ll be fine. ❤️❤️❤️

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i consider it a self-reinforcing negative feedback loop
yea ditto.

I work with some pretty big ol' boys (300# +) that'll weld in the heat all day. They do prefer working up north though. ;) :lol: It's still getting used to the ac, or the heat. Get used to the ac, then use more ac, your loop you mentioned. I'm fine in most any heat if I don't go in the ac during the day, then I can't handle it after that. Lunch in the shade instead of inside and I'm good all day.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Daddy said as a boy growing up, his mother would use the sprinkler bottle from the ironing, to sprinkle the bedsheets, then run a fan. The evaporation would have a cooling effect so they could go to sleep. I’ve done that, it works.