Beat the heat.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its getting warm in Texas....specially for us working folk. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, drink lots of water and after work have an ice cold Michelob Ultra in a frosted glass with a lime wedge. Its better than iced tea!

Be careful tho, they go down like a fat kid on a seesaw

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I get ya, lol. I work outside in the heat, by choice, a lot. I know how to pace myself and work smarter not harder, etc. I drink water, I eat fruit, I do it right. But, I have to agree with ya..there's nothing better than an ice cold beer at the end of that torture, lol! My choice is Corona...but whatever works - works! :)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ice water for me. Never have liked beer.

Make sure your getting your electrolytes. Magnesium, potassium, and SALT! Salt is good when youre soaking wet by 11 and drenched all day. No matter what the drs say. They are in air conditioned offices. Never had to sweat.

I big glass of ice water and some cut up tomatoes from the garden with lots of salt help. Or just a v8. Lots of salt in that stuff

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Make sure your getting your electrolytes. Magnesium, potassium, and SALT! Salt is good when youre soaking wet by 11 and drenched all day. No matter what the drs say. They are in air conditioned offices. Never had to sweat.

I big glass of ice water and some cut up tomatoes from the garden with lots of salt help. Or just a v8. Lots of salt in that stuff

Used to take salt tablets when I worked in a gravel pit in my mid 20's. Its amazing how well they work to keep you cool. But you also need to up your potassium at the same time or its leg cramp city when you try and sleep at night.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No beer here. Hate the flavor. But a splash of sweet wine in a glass of fruit juice sometimes hits the spot. I have a VERY low alcohol tolerance. A dose of cough syrup will make me woozy. Guess I would be a cheap drunk. My go to is iced tea, ice water with a squeeze of lemon and a bit of sugar. I've been cutting lemons into wedges and freezing them. Makes for a nice flavored ice cube substitute.

Agreed re: electrolytes. On super hot days, I've had my flock stumbling around like drunkards. When I mix up the koolaid electrolyte solution, they recover and are normal within 1/2 hour.

Important to keep an eye on animals during these hot months. My dog is a sun worshiper. Can't be healthy for her!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We use Redmond salt. I have never been a heavy salt user, but I sure eat the heck out of the Redmond salt. It is not refined, and it has a flavor that supersedes other salts. I also mix up my own electrolyte solution, 4 spoons of sugar, 1 spoon salt in a glass of water. That will rehydrate you almost instantly. It is also good when you have diarrhea or vomiting, to rehydrate you, but sip on it, don't guzzle. LOL

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like beer, but it has to be a beer that I can taste the sweetness of the malt, and not blow my head off with hops. Most commercial taste like water and are way to hoppy for me.

Latest posts