BeccaOH: Update of just STUFF

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I looove going to Becky's and seeing all her neat-o projects and ideas!!

Thank you, for the guineas, the pallets, and the gate you sent home with us!!! :D

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Becky, I made my feeder and waterer out of 5 gallon Home Depot buckets and 16-20" pot bases. Turns out, it's WAY too big for my girls. Feed in it lasts over a week.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My granny was telling me that her mother (my great grandma) used to make waterers for her chicks out of a quart mason jar turned upside down and rested on a washer on one side. Put in down in a shallow bowl or plate with high sides and voila! My hubby gets pallets from work all the time and we are planning a chicken tractor for some meat chickens in the fall when the weather gets cooler. Thanks for the pics!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Love your frugality!

What kind of nails do you use for the pallets?

Pallets over here never look that good, and nails split the boards right in half.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Amos said:
Love your frugality!

What kind of nails do you use for the pallets?

Pallets over here never look that good, and nails split the boards right in half.
I'm lucky to get these. I got a whole trailer load last fall that I've been picking my way through.

I have had some issues with spits. I used 1.25-inch screws on the gates. Had one split I was able to work around. Used the 2-inch common nails on most of the A-frame coop. Used a few decking screws too.

I mostly run into issues with the pallet wood being too hard. I can barely get a staple from my staple gun to stick in it. I have to hammer in 3/4-inch fencing staples. I've also attached wood slats over the wire with screws to hold it on.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hm, I'm thinking its the diffrent types of wood now, some of your lumber looks like a darker color of wood, and some not -like the light wood on your gate, thats the kind that all of the pallets over here are made out of.. I think its pine but I have no idea. I never have any luck working with that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Becca! Love the pics and ideas.....always love stealing a good idea or two! ;)

I used a pallet topper for my garden gate this year too....great minds and all! :D

I love the Frisbee feeder...my favorite one.

Can't wait to see more of your ingenuity at work! :thumbsup

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey Becky.... :welcome I love seeing your projects. We are "scrappers of wood" as well. Built a 8 x 15 "Banty Shanty" out of wood crates! Took them apart..and fitted them back together to make the walls. I Love the gates..I am going to show them to Hubby...we need to get several gates made this summer...mind if I steal your idea? Or...borrow it!?? :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Becky :welcome

Love your place and what great ideas. I am sitting here slapping my head on the frisbee feeder. I am a pretty good scrounger myself and love wood pallets but the frisbee just never crossed my mind.

Wood pallets are the absolute greatest free thing in the world. From gates, to chicken coops, to rabbit cages. Just add wire. LOL

Latest posts