BeccaOH: Update of just STUFF

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Oh! lol I'm not keep them! they're ready to go home!

geez - no, oh he's cute or anything?!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Oh! lol I'm not keep them! they're ready to go home!

geez - no, oh he's cute or anything?!
Of course he's cute. :love I expect no less. :D

He's nose is so red in the picture, though. :gig

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, all the baby cuteness is killing me, seriously......Becca, he is soooooo cute! I bet he's gonna be a little ball of fluff on legs! :love

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Spring is taking a toll on me. I can't keep up with all that has to be done, especially now that the lawn needs regular mowing and garden time is upon us. I'm sooooo tired. I'm not getting enough rest or enough healthy food, and my body is really feeling it. :hit

The chick venture at the feed store is really going well, but we still are overrun with chicks. Craigslist ads are bringing in the customers, but we are still overrun with chicks. An incubator of 30 of my own eggs started hatching yesterday. :he What was I thinking??? :rolleyes:

Going to Rogers Auction tonight to offload some of the chicks and some of the other poultry I need to downsize.

Maybe I'll get to sleep some on Sunday afternoon. Rain/storms are predicted again for this weekend. :/

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a quick update.

I still have a lot of hatching going on at my place. This weekend was goslings, call ducklings, and turkey. I also loaded up my new Dickey cabinet incubator. :hide

But I did sell off my adult turkeys as I was losing hens that wouldn't stay in their pen to a fox. I'm going to try to hold off on having turkeys for a while and concentrate on preserving some heritage chickens like Dorking and ducks like the Hook Bill for now. Sad thing is that the turkeys were bring in the most profit for me. :rolleyes:

Still need to till the garden, but the mowing is taking too much of that time. Thankfully, my brother is coming today to help with some mowing. :D

Hoping to take a lot of birds (mainly chicks) to a sale in Amish Country this coming weekend. I really need to downsize so I can concentrate on projects that are really important to me.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Spring is taking a toll on me. I can't keep up with all that has to be done, especially now that the lawn needs regular mowing and garden time is upon us. I'm sooooo tired. I'm not getting enough rest or enough healthy food, and my body is really feeling it. :hit
Maybe you could plant some thing besides grass - a flower meadow for bees or a small patch of amaranth, flax, millet or wheat for you and your birds.

TR and I used to seed the back and side yards with timothy and clovers. Then, let them grow until they were about knee high (for TR not me :lol: ) and cut as hay.

just a thought

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, I haven't been this tired in ages. QA and I went together to the Mount Hope Swap Friday and Saturday. Thursday and Friday nights we got a grand total of only 6 hours of sleep. :th

The swap was super fun though, and busy with buyers and sellers. Weather turned out great too. We sold the majority of what we really needed to sell.

I did good on temptations and only brought home one New Zealand Red rabbit buck, a new "antique" metal chick feeder, and a rolling cage cart thing that I can use for brooding or a single rabbit. Oh, and I found some nice tomato plants. :)

A neat thing was that we were able to actually swap some chicks that we had from the feed store sale that we were tired of brooding for nice turkey, chicken, and guinea hatching eggs. Now my new Dickey cabinet incubator plus a couple of my old foam incubators are full. And I can sell these hatchlings for more each than those common chicks. :D

I'm still dragging and needing more recuperation, but I'm thinking I may go again in July. ;)

Oh, and so nice to see OFG and BR. :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It seems as if yo and Quail had a very successful weekend. Aside from the lack of sleep that is.

You got to see OFG and bourbon Red? How did that happen? Way cool.

Good luck on all those eggs. :thumbsup

g

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
It seems as if yo and Quail had a very successful weekend. Aside from the lack of sleep that is.

You got to see OFG and bourbon Red? How did that happen? Way cool.

Good luck on all those eggs. :thumbsup

g
They live not too far from the swap place and are friends, so they came together with their families. We had met BR before but not OFG. They snuck up on us Saturday. Not sure if they found anything to buy.

It is cool that chickens have really brought a lot of new friends into my life. We saw Harley's Girl from BYC and met a couple other folks who say they lurk around BYC. Maybe I need to put up a big sign about BYC and SS at our booth in July -- if I go again. ;)

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I feel like I've been in continual motion for many weeks.

There was the busyness of swap weekend, then I jumped into crazy spring cleaning to get ready for family visiting from out of state. Tried to get all chicks out of the house garage, but I'm back to 3 small brooders. But at least there are no big swimming pools and shavings all over the floor.

My sister and BIL came in from MD on Friday. My DN and her new husband arrived Saturday from VA. Then we started a flurry of cookouts and other family visits. Sunday was a reception for the newlyweds since many of the family couldn't get to VA in February for the wedding. Nice time. :)

I hated to do it, but with this crazy hot and humid weather, I turned on the air-conditioner. But it did help deaden sound so that there were really no complaints about crowing roosters and squawking geese. ;)

New nephew helped me by tilling the garden. It still needs work since I let the weeds run havoc, but I'll hopefully get it done and planted this week. What a job that seems especially hard this year, but I have to have my fresh veggies to can! :drool