Becoming Self Sufficient in the City

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I live in Richmond, Va. I live in a two bedroom town house. We share our home with 1 dachshund, 3 cats, 3 ferrets, 12 snakes, a rat colony, mice, and a sugar glider. We are taking small steps towards becoming more eco-friendly and becoming self sufficient. I don't think we'll ever be able to be completely self-sufficient in a townhouse that we rent, but we are doing what we can.

I have a small backyard, 16' by something in space. We plan on putting a vegetable/fruit garden back there. We purchased a small wooden drying rack so that we can reduce how much we use a dryer when we do laundry. We also plan on using water from our betta fish tanks to water plants outside. This will reduce our water usage by 5g a week when using it for watering plants.

There are so many things we have yet to think of to become more self sufficient. I would love some ideas and suggestions. :)

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We also use the fish water to water the plants. The cats like to drink it also. We have live plants in the fish tanks so the used water is rather clean.

We also raise mice for our snakes. Growing plenty of weeds for the hens. Only one of my cats is self sufficient. The other three insist on eating kibble and using the litter box. Sorry I don't really have any tips. I'll subscribe to this topic to see what others have to say.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hi Soybean, I am in the middle of suburbia, which I hate, but that is another post :rolleyes:
I think there is a lot that you can do to reduce your dependence. I don't have animals or chickens but I do grow a nice sized garden, cook from scratch a lot, make bread often, shop at the farmers market (buy local!) and reduce, reuse and recycle. I wash my laundry in cold and hang it out to dry, I keep lights off and tonight will be the first in what I hope becomes a weekly no electronics night.

Here is one of my favorite web sites, you may get some more ideas here on how to reduce your footprint http://www.pathtofreedom.com/ click on the journal tab for great pics and insight

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey just wanted to let you know I'm with you in trying to be self-sufficient in the city. Its definatly no easy task. But this summer I grew veggies in pots on my balcony and remember to recycle. One small step at a time. and we'll all get there :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you look at much of the rest of the world, people often have to be what we'd call pretty self-sufficient even if they live in cities. People can make a small city yard or apartment balcony produce an impressive amount of food (especially in a favorable climate, and especially if you stick with well adapted things like lettuce and tomatoes and greens and vining things) - sure you are not going to live entirely on it, but it can make a big difference.

Developing skills for making, remaking and fixing things is a pretty good urban self-sufficiency skill. One big advantage of being in a city is that there's usually a LOT of 'stuff' to be had for free, and if you can fix things or repurpose trash into what you need rather than having to go out and pay a repairman or buy someting in a store... :)

Also of course it is vastly easier to avoid getting sucked into spending lots of money on car ownership, using lots of gas, etc when you're somewhere that public transit or your own two feet (or two wheels) will suffice.

It isn't exactly Daniel Boone but there are VERY DEFINITELY a lot of people being pretty self sufficient, all things considered, in the cities of the world.

Go for it :)

Have fun,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I agree with Pat. I was fairly self-sufficient when I lived in the city. But there was the peer pressure from all your neighbours, and there was always the ever so easy temptation of spending money on things you really didn't need. or the number of trips you made to the grocery store, since its so close anyways.... it just take s a bit more willpower, and you also need to have your priorities straight.

Good Luck!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
When we lived in the city, I found this book at a local library....

Country Life: A Handbook for Realists and Dreamers by Paul Heiney

It gives great ideas based on the author's experiences. He starts the book showing how he and his wife "homesteaded" on a London city lot. It goes through the types of things you can do on different sized properties - from the city lot, 3 acres, 8 acres, and up to large multi-acre farms.

This book was published by DK Publishing in 1998 and is no longer in print. I've found it on Amazon, but haven't found it at an affordable price......

I love it because (like Path to Freedom, mentioned earlier) it shows that no dream is impossible.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Soybean
welcome to the forum

small steps are best and everything you do is a huge plus to help the environment and your family!

great ideas already posted but cook from scratch, try to cut some ties with man made type products etc. as you can find substitutes etc.

cut elec. usage by getting power strips, CF light bulbs, etc. etc.

You sound like you are off to a great start!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Soybean said:
I live in Richmond, Va. I live in a two bedroom town house. We share our home with 1 dachshund, 3 cats, 3 ferrets, 12 snakes, a rat colony, mice, and a sugar glider. We are taking small steps towards becoming more eco-friendly and becoming self sufficient. I don't think we'll ever be able to be completely self-sufficient in a townhouse that we rent, but we are doing what we can.

I have a small backyard, 16' by something in space. We plan on putting a vegetable/fruit garden back there. We purchased a small wooden drying rack so that we can reduce how much we use a dryer when we do laundry. We also plan on using water from our betta fish tanks to water plants outside. This will reduce our water usage by 5g a week when using it for watering plants.

There are so many things we have yet to think of to become more self sufficient. I would love some ideas and suggestions. :)
Might want to get hold of a book called Square Foot Gardening....you'll be glad you did. The homemade soap is also a positive move...one I plan to stick with for sure. Maybe participate in a CSA program to expand your food resources?

And...last but not least....minimize, recycle for reuse and try to start making more of your own foods like bread, soups, etc.

If you can stand to kill your own meat, rabbits would be a good choice in your limited space. Pound for pound, they are the best investment for return on your money and for healthy meat. They are also a way to teach your kids about agriculture, animal husbandry, and about where food comes from in a small way. They take up very little space and the manure will benefit your garden, so its a win, win situation! :D

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I started gardening in a small place- grew patio tomatos in 5 gallon buckets- made string trellises for peas to climb up the fence from buckets- grew herbs in pots (that was the way I started.) The only trouble with it was watering all the time- that's why I liked herbs and tomatos best- very drought tolerant. But grew some good tasting veggi's. Never could grow carrots in a buccket though.

Good luck with your creative goal.