Bed Marker for Garlic

Diavolicchio

Contemplation Leave
Reaction score
I try to grow a good-sized patch of garlic every year, almost exclusively the hardneck types that send up scapes, or flower stalks. One other attribute that's distinct about hardneck types is that each clove needs to be planted by hand, which is one of the main reasons the majority of large commercial garlic plantings are softneck varieties; softnecks will grow fine, regardless of how the clove is dropped into the ground.

Because planting handneck types is more labor intensive, I created a 'bed marker' that would mark the location of each clove to be planted, so no additional time had to be spent trying to plant uniform rows. To do this, I bought a "lawn roller," like the kind you might see smoothing out a golf course, had the sides of the drum removed (since I wouldn't be filling it with water) and had a machinist weld metal cones onto the outside of the drum, spaced exactly as far apart as I wanted each garlic plant (6" x 8" grid.) I lucked out, because the circumference of the metal drum was a multiple of 8".

gar_2.jpg
gar_5.jpg
gar_4.jpg

Once I form my garlic beds with a bed maker attached to the back of the tractor, I simply push this device right down the center of the bed and everything is perfectly marked for planting.

It takes about 5 minutes to mark a 360' bed (which will hold 2,160 plants.)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:th Now, that's a lot of garlic!!! Excellent ingenuity, Diavolicchio!

Do you sell your garlic at a market or do you supply restuarants?

Diavolicchio

Contemplation Leave
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
:th Now, that's a lot of garlic!!! Excellent ingenuity, Diavolicchio!
Do you sell your garlic at a market or do you supply restuarants?
Thanks for the kind words. I don't plant nearly as much garlic as I'd attempted original. My plans upon buying the land back in 2004 were to have an organic garlic farm exclusively. But I got bitten by the fruit tree bug and the garlic is now only about 1/10th the size of what I originally planted. I believe our first year we planted 2 full acres of garlic (or 80,000 cloves), each clove by hand! Now I'm content with an area that measures 50' x 180', which will accommodate 8,640 plants.

I save 20% for replanting, and the remaining 80% gets sold at the local farmers markets, given away to good friends and relatives, and consumed in copious quantities at home.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Still a lot of garlic. :th

I love the hard necks too although it is based soley on taste as the two varieties I grow are harder to peel ( my rolly peel thing doesn't work on them.) I do like the fact that, while there are fewer cloves, they are all good size- no fooling with little bitty cloves.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Wow. I love garlic, but that's a LOT of it! I tried growing garlic last year- we'll see if anything comes up this year.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
You my friend....are a SERIOUS garlic grower! :bow I also enjoyed very much reading about your fruit trees. When I was about 8 years old, I helped my father plant 40 apple trees in what became the family orchard. 20 Yellow Delicious and 20 Red Delicious semi-dwarf trees. We sure did spend a lot of time together out there trimming and spraying and picking. My favorite memories are taking a trailer LOADED with apples down to the neighbors cider press and coming home with 80 or 90 gallons of fresh cider! YUM!!! We used to freeze some of it so we could enjoy it during the winter and the spring months.
One fall, we made a 20 gallon batch of Apple Jack in a wooden barrel my dad procured. Cider, raisins and yeast. WHEW!! That stuff would make you throw rocks through your own windows!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the garlic roller - what a great idea!

My garlic crop this year is small (ok, in comparison to what you have, miniscule) because I had so many friends and relatives who asked for garlic that I didn't hold back quite so much to plant. And I didn't have the $ for ordering garlic - so next year won't be able to share quite as much. lol, had a moment's panic because I couldn't remember where I planted the garlic this fall! ok, now I remember, next to the asparagus bed.

Funny, I got up this am thinking I have to draw out the garden map for this year, and here is a garden post!.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great idea to remember.

when we plant our spring onions we plow left and right sides of the line.
plant down and cover. we plant about 25,000 each spring. that way we get 2 lines for 1 amount of work effort.

alot of hand work definitely. we do what that picture shows, backbreaking work..LOL..but oh so profitable.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Again, impressive!
One question- how do you keep the weeds down in those large beds?