Bee~ Journal of then...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Bee, I wanted to give you words of encouragement and tell you how wonderful you are to the people you help, whether you realize it or not, but then I read Sharene's post and she said it more eloquently than I could!

shareneh said:
It takes special people to support others like you do. You are a gift to the planet. Don't ever forget that.
As for Shade, have you thought about putting the halter on her and letting her get used to just the halter for a day or two before trying to put her on a lead?? Never halter broke a calf before, but wondered if that might help?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee...I have to echo what everyone else is saying...you ARE the shining star. Dont you ever think otherwise. We had hospice nurses come in with my grandfather. He was living with my mother, and I was just across the road. Im telling you....that nurse, Cathy..was a blessing. See, my grandpa had sundowners. His moods and fits were disturbing, to say the least. He couldnt walk without support, and several times tried to get out of bed dureing the night. After a few falls....Cathy told us, it was time to restrain him at night, for fear of him breaking a bone. I was devestated! Tieing my grandpa to his bed was the hardest thing ever...but Cathy made me see, it was a safe thing for him. Truley...Cathy was an angel...seeing our distress, and coming in to make it easier for us all. Soon after that, I quit my job, and took over much of his caregiving right up untill the end. I dont have the compassion it takes to be a good caregiver...you are a special breed. :hugs
As for the calf...if anyone can get her to lead....it will be you. It will happen...patience... LOL Something I dont have!
Im sorry to hear you had a bad week...and I know I could never do what you do. The "letting go" would be too hard. Be carefull with your back...and enjoy the weekend.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Two more training to lead tips. With horses anyway we first tie to a solid post using a safety release knot. The post is an amazing trainer. When the animal pulls back the post pulls - yet as soon as the animal steps forward the post (amazingly) instantly releases the pressure on the halter. After they stand tied a while fighting the post (instead of your arms!) they usually will move forward when you pull on the halter.

We also use a "rump rope" when training a colt to lead. Take a big soft rope and loop it over the animals rump allowing the loop to rest just under the hiney and above the back hocks. Now lead rope in one hand and rump rope in the other you start walking by the animal's neck just at the point of the shoulder. Pull rump rope first then make a "go sound" like say walk or give a big kissey noise, then pull on the halter rope. Soon they will start moving with the "go sound". That big kid can be used to enforce the rump rope. And if you move momma to the far end of the field first, then move baby to momma you will have even less of a problem.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep, leading beside mama is critical at this age. If she is small enough, you can use your arm as a rump rope at first. Personally, I wouldn't tie her until she has the idea of the rope, or she could injure her neck if she fights too hard or falls. Of course, you can block her with your body if she is small enough. I worked mostly with Arabians and they have a strong fight/flight instinct. Then when I dealt with my first Saddlebred mare and foal, I worried that the foal was not well, he seemed so unnaturally quiet! He was just fine. :rolleyes:

Watch out for the rump rope getting stuck under the tail, which can elicit a strong reaction. Don't know if this is an issue with calf tails. It can create a rodeo with horses!

Stepping to the side is the easiest first lesson, rather than straight forward or stopping. If she has an itchy spot that you know of, this can be the best reward at this stage. Three or four "yields" to the rope are plenty for each lesson at first. One lesson per day will result in a fairly well-trained animal in about two weeks, with no trauma.

Nothing like a baby animal to heal your heart and keep you strong enough to go back to work each day. Smooches to you!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Oops!

Good watching Free ... I forgot to say we tie to a inner tube fastened to the post - THEN we tie to the tube! The tube has enough give to prevent any neck injury.

That is an important piece of the puzzle - sorry I forgot it. :hu

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You guys are wonderful!!! Thank you for all the advice and encouragement....it is greatly appreciated! :love

Sometimes it does get to me and, though my mind won't recognize it, by body protests the constant strain of dealing with other's emotions, pain and misery. I get tired....so tired I can't stay awake some evenings and then, when its time to go to bed I can't sleep.

Thanks for understanding and listening to my whining. :) :frow

The calf is coming along slowly. :rolleyes: My family was in this weekend and they all say to sell her instead of eating her.....they feel she will make someone a very beautiful cow and replacement heifer. She is kinda pretty, with the Angus/Simmental coloring and that Jersey face.

I will take all your advice, as it seems to make much sense to me! The dog collar seems to be working better than a halter for leading her, she despises the adjustable, rope calf halter! I think it tightens down on her muzzle when she pulls against it and it panics her. The collar doesn't seem to upset her so much.

She is glossy and pretty, very healthy and frisky. She will really love the lamb I'm getting next week and they will be able to play together. Mom isn't much fun to play with and Mom won't let her play with the dogs, so the lamb should be just the ticket!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Bee, I wanna come play with Shade! and Little Black Betty! :D puh-lease???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep! :lol: My sis visited this weekend(from Hell Farms) and she was unusually complimentary towards the cow and calf. Couldn't seem to get over how pretty this calf was! I was waiting for her offer to buy her and was cringing at the thought of having to tell her no....I could never send any animal over there, sad to say. :( So, right off the bat, I told her I already had a few offers for her from some folks in OH! ;) :lol:

Funny thing....her and Jake are almost the same color and size~make a cute pair of Mom would let them play together! :/

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Don't ya love not telling a lie! :p

Blossom sounds like a really good momma. "No telling What a yucky old Dog will do."

She is just keeping shade safe and sound. Now the lamb ... well I bet THAT is a different story!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes! No big teeth! I can't wait to see how this will benefit this tiny group.

Having trouble with my electric fencing, so containment issues for rotation is getting dicey. The cow will stay in great, as she remembers the sting.....the calf and the new lamb will be another issue, I'm afraid.

Still working on it....... :(