Bee~ Journal of then...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
So, right off the bat, I told her I already had a few offers for her from some folks in OH! ;) :lol:
A few offers?! You mean I have competition????????!!!!!!!!!

I'll bring you an Embden Goose as a deposit...:lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If my pasture could support her I'd give you the therapeutic massage of your life as a deposit!!! :lol:

How long can cows continue to produce calves? When do you keep a heifer as a replacement yourself, Bee?

Maybe you could do a partial trade with someone who needs a heifer and has an extra steer.....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee,

Wow, I didn't know there was so much work involved with putting a lead on a calf.

Congrats on the new customer. Your son must make some really good sugar cookies. :D

Glad to hear you had a nice visit with your sister.

I hope your back is feeling better. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
freemotion said:
If my pasture could support her I'd give you the therapeutic massage of your life as a deposit!!! :lol:

How long can cows continue to produce calves? When do you keep a heifer as a replacement yourself, Bee?

Maybe you could do a partial trade with someone who needs a heifer and has an extra steer.....
I have TWO steers!!! :lol: :p

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee? Your getting a lamb too!?? Ohhh, SO not fair! You are adding 2 ( well 3) animals in one season...and I only get my sheep! ;) OK, im headed over to Craigslist...to see what I can round up there! LOL Ohhh, hubby would NOT be thrilled. Congrats on getting the lamb...but...dont you think you need to get 2?:D I mean, just in case shade decides she doesnt like to play with lambs. :lol: Oh, what breed lamb are you getting!?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, if you are getting one, might as well get two! So they can snuggle and play together! :D

Quail, you got me there.....you win! :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
freemotion said:
Quail, you got me there.....you win! :lol:
Thank you!

Bee, you can't have Chase, but I'll send Boss your way! He's a jersey cross of something...I'm sure he'd still be good eating! ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: You folks tickle me! You'd think this heifer was the last to be born on the earth! I admit she is very cute, but she is a total brat and keeps wanting to play with the dogs.....which brings down the wrath of mom on the poor unsuspecting hounds! :rolleyes: She is getting big and glossier, if that is possible, and is really exploring the boundaries and getting in trouble!

Fencing problem solved....someone...and no one is admitting whom....folded a piece of chicken wire over the line and it was sucking the juice right out of the system. Got it all fixed and it now has some super juicing capabilities!

Oh, you folks would have gotten a laugh over seeing Shade lick the fence that she has been escaping out of for 2 or 3 days....blithely slipping under and rubbing up against....it was positively gratifying to see little missy get her lessons in life~and electricity! :gig :lol: :lol:

Blossom is filling out and doing well, I think she is in heat! She is a little more bossy and she is having some pink slime coming from her hoo-hoo. :D Marking it on the calendar....... :fl Next month is breeding time!

I am slowly learning this feeding thing. Been giving her some good second-cutting hay from last year and she is going crazy over it. Seems she really needed it and it is balancing out her rumen, I do believe. She has better consistency in her stool and she is eating more than ever! I'll get the hang of it, never fear! ;)

Got tomatoes in the ground~~~ finally!!! No rain today!! Potatoes are up in the compost bin and I added another layer of composted manure and old hay. Momma loaned me her Mantis until next weekend, so we are finally being able to plow and plant properly! Corn and pumpkins, cukes and squash, taters and mangels, onions and peppers, more lettuce and anything else I can think of to fill in the spaces, like sunflowers and zinnias.

Justusnak, I am still getting a hair sheep breed, Katahdin/St. Croix cross. I'm just getting one and she will be able to have company with the cow. I don't want to overload my grass and I think Shade won't be little long, so that is one large and two smaller ruminants on an acre+. I want to go slow and see what this pasture will take and then adjust later if I need to.

She is black with a white star and an all white tail...she looks like a miniature pony, as the hair sheep have little hairy tails like a young colt. She is adorable and only 4 months old, so she and Shade will have lots of fun running this yard!

Oh, freeeeeeee! I really need that massage!!! :(

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I saw a great program on PBS last night about the history of cows, so now I don't even have to ask what a rumen is!! I thought of you as I watched it. I have learned so much about cows since I joined this forum! I think I might be secretly obsessed with them!! :p

I love to read your progress and I think you have a knack for writing and should consider becoming an author! Really!! You have all of us on the edge of our seats! I love your idea that this is like a front porch chat...it really feels like home to me.

Good luck with your hair sheep! Cant wait to see photos!