Bee~ Journal of then...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You know it, Dace! :D We have had a steady snow shower all day and have about a foot so far...hard to tell.

We are supposed to get snow each day until Sunday, let up on Monday and have another big one on Tuesday......I hate to say it, folks, but it sure is pretty! :)

I was the only one who showed up for work today and town was deserted....it was so eerily quiet. One could almost shut your eyes and imagine that this white roadway was not paved and you will see a horse and sleigh coming towards you at any moment, just shushing along with a jingle and sway. Loved it! :love

I know, I know..... :smack But it is still a beautiful, natural phenomenon to watch this volume of snow being deposited on every field and tree. It's like a fairy kingdom out there!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That is excactly what I used to love about a good snow storm. As long has we were well prepared at home, which we usually were.
It is just so beautifull and clean and quiet! The earth looks prestine when it it covered in freshly fallen snow. It smells different too.

We used to put on skies and go cross country skiing instead of going for our usual walk, enjoying the beauty of it all.

Well enjoy your snow, sounds like you'll get plenty of it. And be safe and warm :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ahhhh, I love to watch the falling snow. It is so soft and quiet and romantic...:love If y ou ever get a horse, it is the best way to enjoy the snow. And you will be the fastest "vehicle" to maneuver in it. :p

I was in shorts and a sweat-shirt all day. :rolleyes: My trees think it is April. :/ My garden is calling me like a siren out at sea. I'm not going to fall for it like I did last year when a late March frost killed all my seedlings. :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FD, I've always wanted to cross country ski but just never got around to doing it....this snow would be perfect! Powdery and light, slick as a whistle. Good exercise....I would probably fall over in a dead faint before too far along from exhaustion. Waaaaay out of shape here! :p

How many other folks out there are being hit by this white out? What are you guys doing this weekend? Anyone having trouble taking care of your livestock or anything?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
No white out here, see above. (We posted at the same time, you owe me a coke!)

Plans...there seems to be this little game on Sunday I forget what it is called...

My new piglet (who I have decided to have butchered in June) is getting a new garden plot to till and fertilize for me while he is still with us. I am the only one to build it. That is my whole weekend.

PIGS STINK!! And NO NOT ALL OF THEM POOP IN ONE SPOT!!!! Good riddance Benson! You ship off to freezer camp this summer! PEEE UUUUU!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :gig

Yeppers! They do! That's why I haven't committed to having one....my sis keeps offering but I really can't see myself committing to raising one all the way. Escape artists, smelly, destructive and I don't eat pork much so they hold no appeal to me right now.

Poor Benson....from the frying pan into the fire! :lol: :gig :gig Sort of like Two Bites....rescued from the auction and died an early death. Too messy, too much trouble, too much everything I don't like on this small of property.

Give me sheep.....sheeps are good! :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
They are cute when they are little, but that cuteness wears off real fast! Especially when you are washing their trough for the umpteenth time b/c they have pooped in and all around it. Yeah, that gets old real fast! :rolleyes:

He will have had a great life up until the big "B-DAY" (butcher day). I won't feel guilty. Heck, with this one I think I could even do it myself without the guilt!

I've never butchered before. I once thought I should "start small", you know, with rabbits or chickens that won't lay. I don't feel that way anymore! Nope, give me a big, smelly, gross hoglet to be my first any day! :lol:

Jerry the "pig man" swears their meat is so much better when they are pastured. You might want to at least try some pork that was pasture raised.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree! Easier to kill if they are not cute or if they are a nuisance. I wouldn't feel guilty either, BBH...you are giving Benson a great home and a good life until he serves his purpose....you know, animals that don't seem to have a purpose really doooo have a purpossssse.....~bad cat, Babe.

I don't feel guilty about killing any animal for food....anyone wanting to blame someone can blame Eve...her fault, not mine. :cool: :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Escape artists!!! Oh yeah!! I remember friends of mine would forever be looking for their escaped pigs :lol:
They had built a corral with old cars set on their sides, somehow those pigs would still figure a way out!!!

Cross country skiing was kind of the only way to get around after a serious snow storm. We even used down hill skies to go cross country. If we had snow shoes we probably would have used them, but we only had skies my grandfather had found in the garbage over many years of being a super in a New York City apartment building.

We used to call the garbage room our "shopping center" :lol:
We got everything we owned out of there, almost. It was amazing to us what people threw out!!!

You keep working that sheep angle, and I might just end up with some :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FD, if I could only let you sit in my sheep barn/pen for a little while and watch these fuzzy, fat gals nibble on hay....these hair sheep smell so pleasant, sort of like horses without the big manure piles.

I used to sit out in my chicken/rabbit building late at night and watch the bunnies nibble hay and the chickens purl and cluck....so peaceful and such a proprietory feeling that everyone little animal was content.

This is how sheep make me feel.....a sense of peace and contentment as they snuffle my fingers, nibble hay, chew their cud. I think everyone should have a sheeple or two! :D

My aunt and mother were discussing the collapse of the economy and what it could mean for most folks if things become rationed or hard to find. I told Bat that this is why I am building a flock of sheep and a flock of chickens, collecting seeds and tools, bees and additional, non-electric water source.....so that I won't be feeling too stressed if food/fuel/resources get tight. I want to have my own little, self-contained food pantry on and off the hoof.

These sheep have multiple offspring and don't eat as much as cattle, mature quicker and have plenty of fat to save for rendering. Their hides can be made into warm clothing and the meat is good. They don't really have a down side for me.

Latest posts