Bee~ Journal of then...

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Bee, you're working it :lol:

I already know, if I find a lost sheep, I'll be taking it home :lol:

I love sitting with my chickens or watching the rabbit eat. It is so fun to see that strand of grass inch it's way into the rabbit's mouth, munch munch munch, and the little nose going all the time. Lately I have been spending alot of time watching Susie and her chicklets. If I sit in the pen with them, all the little chicklets jump onto my legs and snuggle up! Soooo cuuuute, I just want to grab them all and squeeze them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
YOu know that bunny nibble? That is exactly how sheep eat.....like a paper shredder! Soft noses and nibbly lips....I wished you lived closer...some fella asked me if I wanted any of his bummer Katahdin lambs this year. I could toss some your way! ;)

The chicks sound so cute! I can't wait to have chicks again.... :fl Your chicks are probably getting some size on them by now, aren't they? You'll have to have some more, just to have that baby thing goin' on. :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Yeah I wish I lived closer too! I'd be dropping by to check on those sheeples, sitting in your barn with them ;)

I will definitely have more chicks later this year! This little group was unplanned and I have a feeling we have lots of boys. They are doing that mock fighting thing they like to do. I have branches in the pen and some boxes and they love to jump up and off. They are feathering out nicely. It looks like they are wearing pinafores, especially since they are all frizzles.

I want to get more color variety in the eggs, so I'll be looking for breeds that lay the dark brown eggs, more ameraucanas and white egg layers. And I really need an excuse to get more chicks :p:lol:
We have a refridgerator full of eggs :rolleyes: Well 2 shelves are filled anyway....

Of to check craigslist for lost sheep :gig

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I need to get some better hay for mine as well. This grass hay just doesnt look tasty...and the sheepies dont seem to like it very much either. Yup, we are snug as a bug in a rug. Everyone has feed...dry bedding..and the firewood is dry. Bring it on!! Just dont let the power go out, I have chicks hatching!! LOL
Ditto! I have a 'bator running, too, so I'm glad that we so far :fl still have power.

I gotta run out and check on the piggies in a bit...Unlike BBH's piggie, mine are all going poop in the same spot....on the far opposite side from their house and their feeder :lol:

I'm gonna hafta shovel them out a path, tho!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee, I can sit in the barn with my sheepies ALL day! Sometimes once I get out there, I forget all time. Hubby will come looking for me to make sure I am alright...that the Ram didnt "get me" :lol: Oh, I know one day Sonny boy will challenge me, but, I walk lightly, and carry a BIG stick when I go in there. So far, so good. He is a sweet boy and just wants chin scratches like the girls.
QA, I am going to be plugging in the other 2 bators soon! I cant waite. Hopeing to get a few hundred hatched for spring sales. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
QA, I'm sorry about your piggy shelter! Bad news for all when the snow is so heavy that it collapses structures. I had one of my Lazy Boys climb up on top of the sheep pen and sweep off all the snow...I could see the rafters bowing from the weight of the snow.

I'm hoping my leaning, rickety old garage where I store firewood doesn't decide to collapse. :( If so, we will be firing up the chainsaw and making even more firewood and my wimpy boys will really be moaning over getting firewood in the snow..... :rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I think snow IS beautiful IF you can have your family at home safe and warm and have everything prepared for it. The problem for most of us is we STILL have to go to work and travel in the stuff. Plus us city folks have to deal with the stupids out there who neither know HOW to drive in the snow nor lack the sense about when to stay home.

As for me MY favorite way to travel in the snow is by horse sleigh! When I was a kid we had a Hackney/Welsh pony and a 2 person cutter. The pony would be shod with borom (sp?) snow cleats for the winter. We could go almost anywhere. FAST and so quiet, you only heard the ponies breath, the crunch of his feet and the snow slipping by under the runners. :cool: Sleighs are SO quiet as a matter of a fact that they NEEDED bells so other drivers could tell their was a passing sleigh!

I still remember the winter that I first met my hubby. I was 15 years old!! He lived fairly near by and I went to "pick him up" for a date in my sleigh. Nothing like young love, a snugly blanket, crisp white snow, a sleigh, and a fast trotting pony!! :love :love

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I hope your garage doesn't fall in, Bee.

I tried to call my friend who thinks she's going shopping today...couldn't reach them....sooo...I'm thinking they must have tried to go somewhere.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I still remember the winter that I first met my hubby. I was 15 years old!! He lived fairly near by and I went to "pick him up" for a date in my sleigh. Nothing like young love, a snugly blanket, crisp white snow, a sleigh, and a fast trotting pony!!
Farm, that is the sweetest, most romantic date one could ask for....no wonder you got married! And how progressive~you picked up HIM for the date! ;) :D

I would have married a fella who picked me up for a date like that also....very, very romantic! :love

I've never ridden in a horse-drawn sleigh.... :hit

We had a ball yesterday watching our dogs playing with the sheep~who can now just step out of their enclosure at will due to the drifted deep snows. :somad Darn sheep! :rant

Dog #2 is a butt-sniffer....he simply must sniff every animal butt on the place. He is the official butt inspector, sniffer and licker... :sick I let him continue this behavior simply because he doesn't try it on humans and butts just need checked. Who's gonna do it? Not I !

He proceeds to check the sheep's butts, they protested and butted him, he snaps at them and they run. They stop, he checks the butts and the whole routine is repeated! :lol: They run for shelter in the dog barn and Dog #1~Miss Cranky-this-is-my-space-and-you-need-to-stay-out, comes boiling out the entrance like a polar bear with no teeth....and they try to butt her, decide better and run out of the barn. Straight into Mr. Butt Inspector.

This went on until the sheep finally got wise and jumped right back into their own pen...with clean butts and tired bodies, the fat sheeple gladly lay down for a nap.

Funny stuff, this farming...even on this tiny place! :lol:

Latest posts