Bee~ Journal of then...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Sorry, Ann, some situations bring out the 12-year-old in us. Especially when there is no closure. Or justice.

Apologizing is a sign of maturity.
:)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Lori, Free and I are going to explore the use of mangels as supplemental feed in place of grains. I've been reading up on it and will post any news I find about it. With all the aspects of modified corn, I just want to avoid feeding it to my animals, so I'm digging up all the info I can to keep from doing so.

I know I won't be feeding the sheep corn or grain, but the chickens are a problem. I did buy some rabbit pellets today to supplement and mix into their feed, as the alfalfa just has to be good for them.

A side note: I had stopped feeding my chooks the good stuff like laying mash and crimped oats when they stopped laying after molt and before the young ones started lay. Well, when they started to lay the eggs were remaining small, for the most part, and the chickens weren't looking their best.

So I went back to laying mash and within two days the eggs had increased in size and they were laying many more than normal. On BYC they say that feeding laying mash won't stimulate laying, but I say the added nutrition just has to be a boost in more ways than one! My older chickens started putting out their enormous goose eggs just as soon as I got them the "good stuff"! Just like a woman....holding out for better treatment! ;)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
In a nonscientific study from my feed store.

When you want eggs feed them the cheap layer food.
When you want lots of eggs feed them the good stuff.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah, I won't make that mistake again, I tell ya! I've never cut back on their protein before and it sure made a difference.

I'm hoping, by trying the rotational grazing with my sheep, to improve on my existing perennial grasses and give my chickens more bang for their buck with freeranging. I'm going to stockpile some forage in the upper orchard this winter for a good winter selection to supplement their free range diet when they need it most.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
freemotion said:
Sorry, Ann, some situations bring out the 12-year-old in us. Especially when there is no closure. Or justice.

Apologizing is a sign of maturity.
:)
Get your justice (and apology) from someone who had something to do with the injustice, not from the person who agreed with you.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
:old Time out everyone. Go to your rooms and come back tomorrow. :D :hide

Remember that things in a written format often don't come out the way you intended. Let's forget the disagreements and locked threads and get on with the discussion about cows and chickens and other aspects of living within our means and working towards self sufficiency.

Please