Bee~ Journal of then...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah...she may develop to be too big and uncomfortable to walk freely, at which time I will not make her suffer that discomfort. For now she looks pretty normal.

This batch of meaties are clearly not at all like my last ones...the last ones were bigger from the very beginning, taller and with longer torsos. These from another source are very short, shorter body length and more rounded in their development. No matter that they were grown slower, on lower percentage of protein and free ranged vigorously, they are still getting very heavy in the breast as we come up to the 8 wk. mark.

They are still very active and mobile but are definitely waddling more, having to rest more in the hottest parts of the day and you can almost imagine the ground shaking when they run....thunder buns! :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Where did these meaties come from Bee, I will be needing some come fall?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I ordered from Central Hatchery and with shipping it came to $1.20 a chick. I had originally wanted to get a repeat of those very large chicks I got last time from TSC, but the CX there this year were the same size as all the other chicks. When these arrived, they looked the same but were much, much cheaper than the TSC chicks, so it was okay.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Did you see those last pics I posted on the meat bird thread? Round as a soccer ball!

5_bedding_down_for_the_night_at_7_wks.jpg

These are the last batch pics where you can see a more elongated torso:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/5551321/width/900/height/900/flags/LL

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yeah I definitely like the ones from Central better! Just my taste in meat birds, no pun intended. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Making slumgullion today..can't wait to sink my teeth into it!!! :drool :weee :weee :weee :weee :weee :weee :weee :weee

This is that perfect time in the gardening world when all the ingredients to make slum are growing and yielding at the same time....everything fresh from the garden in the same pan. Big ol' iron skillet full of sunny goodness right there! :th In my opinion, the world can never have enough slumgullion in it...best food ever! :old

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey, G!!! How ya been??? :hugs :woot Things are great here....just watched my oldest get married and it was sweet. Good times! How's everyone at your place? Still keeping well, I trust? :frow