Bee~ Journal of then...

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I never have that problem.
Me neither - maybe Bee could send the Bat (that cracks me up, BTW :lol: ) around, on loan, to help us out?!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That poor woman has been exploited enough by her family, so I probably shouldn't rent her out just yet. ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One week into nursing an old flock back to health and am very pleased with the results so far. All birds that had been literally crawling with lice and skin mites have no evidence of those now..wood ashes really worked!

All birds treated on the vents and lower abdomen with NuStock now show no signs of gleet. Some signs of new scale growth pushing up the old , scale mite infested scales and no new scale mite action going on...feet are starting to show good health once again. One week...that NuStock is some miracle working stuff!

One hen that missed being treated for gleet upon the first examination and treatment, was cleaned and treated last night. She was very afflicted with this and had bleeding ulcers on her vent, a rotten smell and wet feathers surrounding the vent. These were clipped off, the area was washed with ACV, and NuStock applied to the whole vent and surrounding tissues and also right inside the vent on the ulcerated areas.

Old, lice chewed feathers were trimmed off and NS reapplied to a few hens that still showed redness and swelling in their lower abdomen. These areas are half the size they were when the chickens arrived here, so the NS or other efforts are really working for these.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Two more loads of firewood into the wood shed yesterday! :ya One more load and it will be stuffed from top to bottom, side to side and coming out the door. Then it's time to start on stacking ricks outside the shed and covering with tarp. This space is reserved for all the down and seasoned pine and poplar we have floating around...just need to get the splitter back home and set up.

Found another wonderful use for NuStock...flea prevention. Never really had much serious flea problems for the dog until a stray came by this summer and started to play with Jake before I could get my hands on him. When I did, the dog was literally crawling with fleas and was in horrible misery, scratching and biting himself. Then Jake had them too.

I've tried everything natural under the sun to no avail. Then tried the chemical route...still no success. Noticed him digging himself pretty badly under the stomach and found many, many flea bites and bloody scratch marks from all the digging. Happened to have a tube of NS handy and so slathered all of his underbelly and worked it in good at the excoriated flesh where he had dug.

That was many days ago and he is showing no signs of fleas...can't find one on him. No bites and he is not itching. The places he had scratched open are almost gone...just faint, thin scabs on them now. Should have done that long ago if I had only known!

From now on, dog is getting some NS on his belly every so often, but especially this next spring when flea eggs start hatching...I'm sure the lawn is full of them now.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The flock are well on the road to recovery now and are showing no signs of illness or parasite problems. Just 2 short weeks brought them back from the edge and they are filling out nicely, feathers are looking glossy and full again and old and damaged scales are lifting and sloughing off the legs. The last bird with gleet no longer has it and is in the nest box as I type.

The recovery time on this flock has been remarkable and the pictures of comparison even have me startled. I had never reconditioned a bad flock of chickens before and was amazed at how quickly it can be accomplished with just a few simple steps and old remedies. I'm very pleased to have a remnant of my old flock back and have them starting to look like their old selves again.

O happy day! :bun

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What rednecks do when they have a camera.....The Bat and Jake

5_sepia_tone_granny.jpg