Bee~ Journal of then...

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gypsi, I see where your processing went well! Congratulations! :thumbsup It gets easier the more you do it and pretty soon you'll be an old hand at it and nothing much will surprise you. I did note that you were still having some shell problems even though you are offering supplemental calcium. When my hens are that bad, I just put the oyster shell right in their daily layer ration and they manage to eat quite a bit of it. I also try to increase protein and will sometimes crack their older eggs right into their ration and stir it a little...best source of protein I can offer without buying something else, ya know?

If you have a meat grinder, you can rest those birds a few days, debone and put them right into the meat grinder and freeze the burger or use it right away in some recipe. It sure does keep the flavor from cooking out from the long, slow stewing one normally has to do with old birds. Fresh ground is already tenderized and can be just browned in a pan and used in stir fry, burritos, etc.

Bee you are a lifesaver you know. Hope you are doing well. Between pond building dog training bee rescuing and truck /trailer fixing I've been a little busy. But I've got to cull a couple of roosters and came back to see what your tips were. They are still useful!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aliza Grace arrived at around 2:30 pm yesterday, 8 lb. 3 oz. and 21 in. long, a full head of golden brown hair (like Grandma!
yesss.gif
) and has her daddy's full lips and sweet smile and also his nose, his butt, his beautiful skin color and tone, etc. Her mama is very, very pale with pale blond hair and pale blue eyes, so the baby doesn't resemble her much yet but no telling what will pop up later...she does have her mom's toes.
lol.png

She slept and smiled all during the visit~when we would all laugh, she would smile!~ and appears to be just like her dad was when he was a baby...calm, quiet, sweet and laid back. She latched on real well to the breast and nursed for 45 minutes for her first tucker!!!
th.gif
Yep...that's from our side of the family.....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Girls, watch this video and pay close attention to the background noises and Aliza's very appropriate facial expression....it's hilarious! :lol: