Bee~ Journal of then...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule - it's that time of year! I've got some work to do in there for sure to get it ready for fall.
Isn't it funny how the first flush of spring planting for us is just about burnt crispy and we are thinking about fall planting--while everybody else is just getting started?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Had a great garden breakfast today and it tasted so good I have to post about it...finally dug my new red spuds out of the compost and fried them. Added a young yellow squash, green pepper, a few of the sweet Candy onions from the garden, sweet corn and kielbasa.

Homemade bread and a few fresh eggs with that and it was food fit for a king! There's nothing so velvety in texture on the palate than those first young red potatoes from your own garden.....like sweet, soft and melt in your mouth richness. :drool

Life is good and all good things come from the Lord, so am thanking God with every step today. :bow

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love new potatoes! Sometimes I dig a few early just because I can't wait! But I haven't had any luck with potatoes since we moved. I'll try again next year.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I love new potatoes! Sometimes I dig a few early just because I can't wait! But I haven't had any luck with potatoes since we moved. I'll try again next year.

Bay, I would have had more this year but I was unavoidably away from home for almost 2 wks, in which time my potato vines died back enough to reveal the compost ring contents to the chickens....who went to town on them, digging up the spuds and eating them. I suspect Jake joined in as he was fat as a tick when I came home and both compost rings in his reach were stripped of every vine and every potato. He's an old potato thief from WAY back, that dog. Would steal me blind of garden produce if I didn't have a fence.

I know the chickens participated because I saw them starting on the other two compost rings yesterday and was just snacking down on those taters. Mom and I both agreed we'd never seen a chicken eating raw potatoes before in all our lives, but these birds were gobbling them up like crazy.

So much for raw spuds being toxic to chickens, huh? All of mine are hale and hardy, all accounted for.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today I'm so very thankful that God sustained my body throughout this work day, helping me to bear up under pain and still move, lift and work throughout the day. I couldn't have done it without Him, that's for sure.

I'm also thankful for meaningful work to do. He fills my head with ideas on how to be a better steward of the land and home He has provided and then provides a way to do it all. Most folks would probably not thank God for work, but I love to work and especially this type of working....something that makes a visible improvement. Taking something rough and/or unusable and making it smooth, attractive and functional.

My sister visited the other day, she hadn't been here for 3 yrs. She was amazed at the changes Mother and I had made here and couldn't believe how much was done. I could have told her it was not to our credit that the place had changed so very much, but to my Heavenly Father, who provided the means to do it and the inspiration to do it. He also provided us the bodily strength and endurance to complete these tasks. Without Him, we couldn't do much at all, so everything we have here is to His glory and not ours.

My Father is a good one and He cares about how we feel, how fulfilled our lives are and provides for all our needs so completely that it's beyond our comprehension. As I looked around the place on this balmy, beautiful day, I couldn't help thinking of that part in Psalms 23....

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;

....that's what if felt like today. The breeze kissed my face and lifted my hair so gently it was like the caress of a parent to a child, comforting and filled with love. Seeing the animals spread out on the grass, lying there in these green pastures with eyes closed, safe and content in the cool grass under a blue sky, knowing they were feeling the same way...that feeling of being well cared for, at peace and feeling loved so deeply. Truly He restores my soul!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Love, love, love your description!
It stormed here during the night (and the house smells sooo cool and fresh!) So I was walking outside early, picking up a few small downed branches, watching my chickens run along the fence line to keep track of me, looking at the last raindrops glistening on the leaves, and listening to the breeze. The wind in the treetops brought me right back to my childhood walking through the woods with my dad and siblings going to find waterfalls. And when you listen, you can't quite tell if it's the wind in the trees or the water you hear. I had a deep deep feeling of contentment.

Oh Lord, my God,
When I in awesome wonder...

...then sings my soul, my Saviour God to thee,
How great thou art,
How great thou art

Some days are just beyond blessed, aren't they??

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Love, love, love your description!
It stormed here during the night (and the house smells sooo cool and fresh!) So I was walking outside early, picking up a few small downed branches, watching my chickens run along the fence line to keep track of me, looking at the last raindrops glistening on the leaves, and listening to the breeze. The wind in the treetops brought me right back to my childhood walking through the woods with my dad and siblings going to find waterfalls. And when you listen, you can't quite tell if it's the wind in the trees or the water you hear. I had a deep deep feeling of contentment.

Oh Lord, my God,
When I in awesome wonder...

...then sings my soul, my Saviour God to thee,
How great thou art,
How great thou art

Some days are just beyond blessed, aren't they??

They are indeed! Those are the days when I'm walking around with a smile that runs so deep that my heart can wear it and it doesn't feel like my feet are touching the ground as I walk. I LOVE that feeling!!!!