Bee~ Journal of then...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nah....I might put other people's grass on my garden but not in my sheeps...unless its pretty darn good alfalfa hay, that is!!! :p

My lawn clippings were the best mulch I've ever used. I put some fresh ones around my lettuce and the very next day they were more lush and had grown tremendously. I would say it was more from cooling down their roots and preventing moisture loss...but it was still mighty impressive!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea it blows my mind when we have fall cleanup around here. People bag their leaves....tons of bags along the street waiting to be picked up. some landfills do mulch and offer it for free.....others literally throw the plastic bag and leaves in the landfill.....insanity truly.

Are you going to use your front yard for sheep? I see so many people nowadays fencing in the front yard for animals. Alot of horse owners on small property do this.....but for me, I think I am going to change the front yard from my grass to just native plants from NC that are low growing and drought resistant. I want to stop mowing the front..LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
All but a little bit of my front yard is already fenced in and waiting the sheepers. The rest will be parking lot for my roadside stand and flower beds for my perennials and cut flowers.

We enclosed the front of the property when I decided to get the chickens. I plan to make the side/front yard one of my biggest paddock rotations. Fortunately, after I build the leanto, I won't have one paddock that won't have some shade.

I can't wait to see them jumping around on the green grass! My front yard has quite a bit of clover in it, so it will be their most nutritious rotation.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OK Bee, how soon are you getting these sheep? are you going to be breeding? and if so, could I be put on a waiting list for a lamb or two? :fl

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL--my goats don't prefer clover. 1/2 my pasture is clover and they don't touch it at all. My clover gets so green and high....when I had the horse she ate the hound out of it. Sheep being like goats prefer weeds, I wonder how much they will like it? I will be curious....tell me how they eat the clover? Cause I never did sheep and don't know what they prefer.

I can't wait to hear cause if your sheep chow down on clover, I might get 2 and have them eat up the rest of my pasture..LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sheep prefer grass/clover to browse. That's one of the reasons that I chose sheep instead of goats, as I have no weeds or browse for them. I've read that a goat can starve on a lush, green pasture! Sheep, on the other hand, are grazers. I have plenty of lush, green grass to keep two sheep occupied for awhile!

No more mowing! I'm also getting a few geese to trim around the edge of my house and buildings. They are weeders and grazers, so they will do well also!

Heck, FC, with your already having goats, you could put the sheep in to eat what they won't and have it made!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea they are grazers but I thought they preferred the weeds just like goats? oh well...don't know about sheep much. I know they will eat the grass to the ground right? Isn't that why the cattle barons hated the sheep herds in the west...called them the rats of grazing or something like that...LOL

Yea I could easily get 2 sheep and throw them in there...but I don't know if I want any more critters..>LOL....I am trying to kill off the ones I have---only kidding!!!!!!

It is funny how you are wanting to get more involved and enjoying the new process and such again, and me, I am wanting to downgrade again.....everyone can be at such a different level in their lives at any given time.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
oh yea it blows my mind when we have fall cleanup around here. People bag their leaves....tons of bags along the street waiting to be picked up. some landfills do mulch and offer it for free.....others literally throw the plastic bag and leaves in the landfill.....insanity truly.

Are you going to use your front yard for sheep? I see so many people nowadays fencing in the front yard for animals. Alot of horse owners on small property do this.....but for me, I think I am going to change the front yard from my grass to just native plants from NC that are low growing and drought resistant. I want to stop mowing the front..LOL
My dad gets in his truck and goes through town picking up bags of leaves in the fall. He piles them in his garden over the winter and in spring, uses them to bed down his potatoes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea they are grazers but I thought they preferred the weeds just like goats? oh well...don't know about sheep much. I know they will eat the grass to the ground right? Isn't that why the cattle barons hated the sheep herds in the west...called them the rats of grazing or something like that...LOL

Yea I could easily get 2 sheep and throw them in there...but I don't know if I want any more critters..>LOL....I am trying to kill off the ones I have---only kidding!!!!!!

It is funny how you are wanting to get more involved and enjoying the new process and such again, and me, I am wanting to downgrade again.....everyone can be at such a different level in their lives at any given time.
It is funny! I bet the enthusiasm sometimes has you groaning inside...like, do they know what they are in for?! :p You have been very fortunate, FC, to have an operating farm already....many of us would give our left arm for the opportunity.

My mom wanted a farm when we moved back on the homestead, but dad was no farmer. We got pigs, chickens, milk cow..even had a horse at one time and my sis had goats. Dad didn't like to deal with any of that...he just wanted to hunt and "live off the land" ~whatever that meant to him~I still wonder! :rolleyes:

I've been waiting all my life for a way to have this farming thingy and I may never get there...but, by golly, I'm going to micro farm right here if I can! I kept waiting and hoping for a better place and one day, as I was driving along(seems to be a trend to get a message from God while driving! :lol: ) and God said, "Grow where you are planted." And I promptly answered, "Help me?!" :lol:

So...here I am, trying to do the best I can on my little slice of heaven.

Quail, I am getting Dorper/Katahdin crosses off a fellow, but I'm not real pleased with his herd conformation at all. Also not real into his whole feedlot operation he's got going...but its the breed I want and I can't find any others around here, so he's my only choice!

FC, sheep will eat grass to around 2 in. in length, which makes them a good companion grazer for cattle, as cattle don't eat the sward down well like a sheep. They also prefer different grass varieties. When the old west cowboys got their heads on straight, they realized the benefit of running them together! Also, they do not share many of the same parasites, so the cattle can ingest the larvae of sheep parasites with no infestation and vise versa. It stops the cycle, so they will often follow each other in a grass rotation for this very purpose. The parasites meet a dead end!

With grass farming, they let the animals graze intensely on a paddock and then take them to fresh graze the next day. Ideally, they won't see the original paddock again until that grass is a good 4-6 in. tall again~2-4 wks, depending on the time of year. This also gives parasite larvae time to die from solar exposure before they can be re-ingested.

The difference between continuous grazing and rotational? With continuous, the cattle and the sheep eat the "ice cream"~the good stuff and leave the not so tastey herbs and weeds. Pretty soon the good stuff is overgrazed and the less preferable and less nutritious varieties are more prevalent.

With intensive grazing, the cattle and/or sheep are in a smaller area with more animals. This makes them compete for food more vigorously, making them eat more as they graze(pack on the pounds) and become less selective about the grass, in their attempts to get food before the next cow/sheep.

The pasture is not left with really short grass interspersed with clumps of woody stems and weeds, like most pastures around here. The pasture is mowed cleanly, like a good hay field. Then its allowed to "rest", recover and the tastier and more nutritious grasses have an equal or even a better footing when they regrow.