Bee~ Journal of then...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One problem is no sooner solved than another pops up. Good luck.

*******you ain't just whistling Dixie!!! LOL---I live by that one!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I got the job!!! :weee :celebrate

They met my wage and I accepted their offer! Its so satisfying and exciting to be starting a new journey!

FC, if you think I'll be able to tame those lambs down, it will be worth it to just purchase the weaned lambs then. I just got the income tax, so it won't be too bad a strain on the finances.

Plus I will be able to pick a lamb that already has a conformation started......you know how hard it is to judge conformation in a newborn! AND, I won't have to take whatever bum lamb is available and can pick from the whole crop.

Not to mention, I should have my lean-to shed done for hay storage and a feeding/lambing pen by then. Its so nice to run ideas past you guys....it never ceases to amaze me how valuable it is to think out loud and brainstorm with knowledgable folks! :thumbsup

I saw some very pretty black Dorper marked lambs there that I wanted. I like the Dorper conformation better than the Katahdin, but the Dorper tend to retain hair more than the Kats do.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ooohh Congrats on the new job, Bee!

I can't wait until you get your lambs! I would go the lamb route, but if I want that Alpaca.......

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Ooohh Congrats on the new job, Bee!

I can't wait until you get your lambs! I would go the lamb route, but if I want that Alpaca.......
:lol: :gig :lol: That's right, Aly, keep your eye on the goal!!! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:ya
CONGRATS! A NEW JOURNEY IS FAB!
change of pace, new people, new surroundings...we all need that from time to time or life gets boring...this will spice it up for you!!!!!

yea bee, I would seriously consider weaned lambs, plus honestly, they come with less possible medical problems then newborns on bottles. You feed them and grab them and handle them and smooch on them and hand feed a little treat....and they will be very tame to you I am sure. They are sheep after all....right? LOL

Plus, peace of mind knowing no one is in your yard etc. while you are working. People coming over to do work for me is always scary. I have possible very dangerous hogs etc. and I worry if I am not around.

Not that your lambs would become maneaters or anything.>HA HA

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: Sooooo funny! Yeah, I wasn't really wanting to trust it to someone who may or may not see the importance of going slow, rubbing their little butts, maintaining feeding position, etc. :D

This way, the weanlings will have had all the important antibodies and good creamy, fat milk from mama to start them out in life. Good advice, FC!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
plus since you are going to breed, somewhere down the line your bottle feeding will happen. I don't wish it on you at any point, but all of the sudden you gotta step in....that work will come. Don't rush it..LOL

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Okay I have another noob question that you two or anyone else, may be able to answer, but this seems to be where the farmers convene :p

Is there a breed of pig that STAYS small? And if so, how "small" is small? I have a friend that keep insisting that she is going to get pigs for her kids, but I have only heard of pigs that people say are small, and then sell them only to turn out to be monstrously large. So is there a true miniature pig?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There are miniature pot-bellied pigs that only get 35-40 lbs. fully grown. You have to be very careful because some folks will sell a full-sized one's offspring, as a miniature, to unsuspecting folks.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
That's what I thought. That's what I keep trying to tell her, but she's pretty stubborn. So I guess I will let her find out for herself. That's just how it will have to go down b/c she flat out isn't listening to me. She doesn't know that they get 35-45 lbs either. She thinks they stay the size of a large chiuaua <----I know I spelled that wrong! LOL