Bee project!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Someone on my FB beekeeping group said honey made with sunflowers crystallizes very quickly in her experience. They couldn't even extract it, it crystallized so fast. Must research this more...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting. If you hadn't said they couldn't extract it, I'd have thought they were novices, and not used to real honey. If you're planting sunflowers for pollen to feed the bees, choose your varieties wisely. Many of the newer cultivars are "pollen free". Those plants may be fine for a florist. But totally useless "on the farm".

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Someone on my FB beekeeping group said honey made with sunflowers crystallizes very quickly in her experience. They couldn't even extract it, it crystallized so fast. Must research this more...
Interesting! I wish I copied the link for that article on sunflowers for bees so I can read it. I tend to fly through sites sometimes and just make little notes as I go along.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well our plans finally arrived! Took a long time to get here but we are very impressed with how thorough and easy to understand they are! Well, easy for DH the builder. I just go, ooh pretty pictures (kidding, kind of, lol)

DH is going to see an old employer today who is friends with an old school beekeeper who sells locally raised bees. So he's going to reconnect with him. Most people here get their bees from down south. Not good for NH weather!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How exciting! Getting started on a plan you've had for awhile is really cool! Sound like a really good idea to get local bees that are better suited to ya'lls crazy weather!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's awesome! Keep us posted, please.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Exciting. Bees are on my "maybe" bucket list. I have a friend who has quite a few hives. I know he'd mentor me, and perhaps set me up with a hive split.