Bee Stings

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just received an email from a friend who says that a penny placed over a fresh bee sting will take the sting and irritation away. Supposedly the copper has something to do with it. Has anyone else tried this?

Apparently works for honey bees, hornets, etc.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PH level??

Baking soda over bees works, but vinegar over wasps does it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
I just received an email from a friend who says that a penny placed over a fresh bee sting will take the sting and irritation away. Supposedly the copper has something to do with it. Has anyone else tried this?

Problem would be finding a penny made from copper. :/

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
kcsunshine said:

Problem would be finding a penny made from copper. :/
Good point! I think they made the change in 1979? For some reason someone at a Cub Scout leader function just brought up copper pennies....

Looked it up. The change was made mid 1982. So if you find a 1981 or earlier penny stick in your first aid kit!

Or not, just checked it on snopes.com and they say it probably isn't true.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
My grandma used to put freshly cut onion on a sting. But that was soooo many years ago now, that I can't remember how effective that was. :D

Did you know that many cosmetics and suntan lotions/oils can contain BANANA OIL..... is exactly what the honeybee pheronome smells like when they want the help stinging intruders?

I found this out during my "I want to be a beek research"

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Keljonma, are you saying that banana fragrance suntan lotion attracts bees that are in their sting mode?
That's pretty scary to someone who is allergic!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For us...when we get stung, we put a good old glob of MUD on it..takes the sting away fast! I am one who gets stung by wasps every summer. This works great!!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the mud idea better. Nothing beats rolling around in a big old mud puddle....... Shades of yesteryear......

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Mud works for poison ivy and stinging nettle as well IF you get it on FAST enough.

If you know you have just been exposed find some good slimy mud and slather it thickly over the exposed place. When the mud dries up brush it away then wash the area.

The mud will absorb those evil oils, before they effect the skin.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
hand sanitizer will cover up the pheremone and keep other bees from stinging after the first one and it also takes some of the sting out.

My mama always coated us in....don't laugh....A1 steak sauce. Left it on until it dried up and got crusty and then washed it off. It never did hurt after that. :/

Latest posts