Bee Stings

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Keljonma, are you saying that banana fragrance suntan lotion attracts bees that are in their sting mode?
That's pretty scary to someone who is allergic!
No that is not exactly what I said.

Honeybees use different pheronomes to communicate. They also only sting to defend themselves and the colony.

When a female (worker) honeybee stings, she releases an alarm pheronome to incite the rest of the workers to come to her aid to protect the colony.

The pheronome that is released when a honeybee stings does smell like banana oil.

Cosmetics that contain banana oil *may* mimic the alarm pheronome.

If you are allergic, you may or may not find this article an interesting read.

http://www.wncbees.org/docs/reference/Marterre.2006.pdf

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I wonder if the A-1 for bee stings works like Adolf's meat tenderizer does for a jelly fish sting? (At least the people that we talked to at the beach when we went said they kept meat tenderizer for such things. ;) Then again, maybe someone somewhere is still laughing about that one. :p )

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I wonder if the A-1 for bee stings works like Adolf's meat tenderizer does for a jelly fish sting? (At least the people that we talked to at the beach when we went said they kept meat tenderizer for such things. ;) Then again, maybe someone somewhere is still laughing about that one. :p )
Maybe its the MSG? :lol:

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think that's right keljonma. I think I've heard that one before - it's the MSG.

Easier to find than a copper penny, I'd be willing to bet.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
see here i was thinking bees and wasps only liked me because i was allergic to them...ya know, like some kind of evil cosmic joke (lets mess with allergy girl)

but now i find out it might be the result of my desire to not crispyfy myself in the sun...

must check my sunscreen ingredients!