beef broth

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make my own chicken broth all the time, so when we split a side of beef with someone, I assumed I would make beef broth out of the bones. I followed the direction in Nourishing Traditions and I'm underwhelmed with the result (granted - I didn't toss in the optional hoof). The final result is much paler than the commercial stuff and doesn't seem to have much flavor. Did i do something wrong or do they add colorants to theirs? Is it marvelously more nutritious than commercial? I have another batch of bones and at this point, the result doesn't seem worth the effort and mess.

Inchy

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I'd bet they do add a colorant. I made my first beef broth a couple of weeks ago, it turned out okay but not stellar flavorwise.

The color was pretty good though, probably because I cooked it not only with onion but with the onion skins. Onion skins are widely used as natural coloring, you can even boil eggs with them for a pretty golden egg!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have your solution....you need to brown the bones if you want brown stock. Raw bones make white stock. Same goes with chicken.

Pop your bone collection (sounds like a movie huh) under the broiler for a few to brown them up....turn and brown the other side.

Let cool a little then proceed with your stock making.

Also.....after you remove the bones and veggies you can condense the stock by continuing to simmer it, you can let it reduce my half or 2/3 it is easier to store that way.

The commercial stuff has lots of sodium...your will not. You can add good quality sea salt when you are using your stock in a recipe.

Hop this helps!

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dace said:
I have your solution....you need to brown the bones if you want brown stock. Raw bones make white stock. Same goes with chicken.

Pop your bone collection (sounds like a movie huh) under the broiler for a few to brown them up....turn and brown the other side.

Let cool a little then proceed with your stock making.

Also.....after you remove the bones and veggies you can condense the stock by continuing to simmer it, you can let it reduce my half or 2/3 it is easier to store that way.

The commercial stuff has lots of sodium...your will not. You can add good quality sea salt when you are using your stock in a recipe.

Hop this helps!
Dace is totally right and I totally forgot that part! :th

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
:thumbsup

That's why y'all keep me around.....once in a blue moon I have something to offer! :bun

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok. I browned the "meaty" bones, but most of the bones were not. Next time I'll brown all the bones.

Thanks!
Inchy

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Instead of putting the bones under the broiler I spread them out in a roasting pan, and roast them for awhile. Takes longer, but I don't worry about charring them under the intense heat of the broiler. About halfway through I add some or all of the cut up veggies to roast too - onions, carrots, some garlic cloves, turnip or rutabega, parsnip if I have them. I also add a good handfull of parsley, and some chopped celery to the stock pot (celery root if I have it, and parsley root, which I hope to have from the garden this year). Make sure to deglaze the roasting pan once you have transferred everything to the stock pot, to get all the lovely brown bits that remain in the pan. And I second the suggestion of reducing the final broth to concentrate the flavor and the color.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That's how I do it, too. You really need a combo of meaty bones and marrow bones, with the emphasis on meaty.

If you want more color and like mushrooms, add portabellas or shiitakes to your final broth. They darken a broth up nicely.