Beer recipes?

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anybody have any good ideas for what I should do with some cheap, gross beer that I won't drink? My father-in-law was in town, and he bought some really cheap beer of a sort that my wife and I just can't stomach... and then only drank one. So what should I do with it?

I've made beer bread in the past, and like that pretty darn well. And I usually use a beer in my chili, or sometimes in beef stew. Any thoughts? Clever ideas people have?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey scottyg, there was something about beer on the end of the last sourdough bread thing that I posted. Substituting beer or something.........

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Save it for beer battered fish....wrap fried fish in a tortilla, top with sour cream salsa & cabbage....yum!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Get one of those racks that sits in a pan, where you put an open can of beer (or other beverage) in it and then stand a chicken upright over the can. As the beer boils out it keeps the chicken moist and makes a nice flavor. Even cheap beer works great.

Here is a link for one model.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is coming from a vegetarian so take this for what it's worth, but relating to what k0xxx says, I've heard that beer makes a great marinade for meats, better than wine. Also, beer is a good fertilizer for house plants, and is also a good hair rinse or bath additive for you skin. And it sounds like you're already aware of using it for bread. Cheap beer is far better for bread than good beer, I've found.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
KO...I thought I read somewhere that cooking with the can was some sort of health hazard....something about the aluminum heating or the seams heating...am I wrong?
BTW, I always heard that recipe called Beer Butt Chicken. Always made me laugh.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Dace said:
KO...I thought I read somewhere that cooking with the can was some sort of health hazard....something about the aluminum heating or the seams heating...am I wrong?
BTW, I always heard that recipe called Beer Butt Chicken. Always made me laugh.
I had never heard of it being a problem. I use aluminum cookware a lot, so I hope that it isn't. I don't believe that the can would get hot enough to oxidize, and if it did, it would seem like the chicken would be burnt to a crisp. It may be worth looking into, though.

Beer Butt Chicken. It seems as though I do remember it being called that, now that you mention it. An interesting and accurate description! :lol:

*Edited just to follow up...

Here's a device for Beer Butt Chicken that doesn't use cans, so you can don't have to worry about any problems from them. It's called the Poultry-Pal and you just pour the beer into it.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace, the beer-battered fish sounds just AWESOME. If only I wasn't landlocked with the nearest fish market an hour away. Frozen fish could work though...

I've never tried the beer chicken... maybe I'll have to give it a shot! I've had beef stew with beer as the liquid... mmmmmmmmm.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Give your brats a nice beer bath with onions & butter. Yum!!