Bee's Guest House

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
QA, I have whipped cream. The real stuff. No sugar added, just vanilla. You can have that.

Okie - swiss chard pie/quiche is excellent and a good low carb, high veggie meal. Um, I have to say that I don't really follow recipes as I tend to make alot of adjustments :D But this is the basic recipe (which I learned right here on this very forum!)
I do not use a pie crust. I add a good pinch of nutmeg. I think I used about 10 eggs, because we have so many right now. And I tossed in a cup of chopped ham.
Oh - this time I cooked it in muffin tins so I could have little servings to freeze for quick breakfasts. Unfortunately my muffin pan sucks. In spite of using a huge amount of grease, they stuck and didn't look so pretty. I then threw the pan away in a tantrum. I'll use a casserole pan next time and just cut into squares.

1 onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon oil
1 bunch Swiss chard
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 piecrust (see below for no-roll crust recipe)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Brown onion and garlic in oil. Trim and chop chard (can include greens and stems), add to pan and cook down until wilted. Beat eggs and milk in bowl. Mix in salt and chard mixture. Pour into piecrust. Sprinkle cheese on top, pushing slightly into chard mixture. Bake until knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30-40 min.

1 piece (including 1/8 of crust below): 367 calories,
13 grams protein, 5 grams fiber
Vitamin A 170% Vitamin C 42%
Calcium 24% Iron 23%

Whole-wheat, no-roll piecrust1 cups flour (whole-wheat pastry flour best, whole-wheat flour okay)
1 tsp sugar
tsp salt
cup oil
3 tbsp milk

Place all ingredients in pie pan. Mix with fork until well blended and pat into the pan. Push pastry up the sides and form a nice edge with thumb and finger. Prick to avoid bubbling during baking.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I got a bunch of hardboiled eggs, I'll make some eggsalad, if someone can bring some nice homemade bread. I'll bring a jar of my homemade pickles too. They turned out real good. I'll bring some herbs for tea also. There is just a bit too much caffeine going around here for me :lol:

Oh and thanks for taking those lamb beans to the compost. Next time lets not use an old coffee can for those. :rolleyes:

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Awwww, I missed lunch! I had a can of cold beans...just for energy cause I was moving sand and gravel all day! I would have loved eggsalad and apple butter! I would have brought a fresh homeloaf, almost always have some of that available here :drool

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
It's not too late for dinner, is it?
Never too late for dinner!

I just got a mountain of chicken thighs for 45 cents a pound, anyone want baked chook and barbecue sauce? :drool