Beginning stages of Alzhiemer's?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks. No, I don't push it. My dad has to have his gall bladder out and she and I talked about some stuff he could take to help him cope until the surgery. I told her I could pick them up at the health food store on my way to her house and she said--don't bother, so I asked her why and she said she doesn't belive in that hooey. I told her it couldn;t hurt to try, but she wasn't willing ( and this was for my dad) Maybe she will be receptive is she reads the studies. :fl but we will discuss things first.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
calendula said:
My grandpa has Alzheimer's. It is not unusual for people to forget things as they get older, but forgetting recent events is kind of a red flag. Has your mother had any behavioral changes aside from the memory loss? The Alzheimers Association website might have some good info for you.
IDK, I'll find out more tomorrow. thanks for the link. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Get her to her doctor right away and get it confirmed. By the time you see such symptoms....it is not in the early stages. It is still called mild usually, but it has been going on for years. They will run her through a few simple (for the average person, anyways) tests such as drawing certain shapes, listening to a list of words and repeating them or being asked if ___ was one of the words in the list, etc. Depending on the results, more tests will be ordered. They will need to know if it is Alzhiemer's or if it is vascular (strokes) to determine treatment.

This is one case where I feel drugs are to be used. By the time you see symptoms, well.......yup. Then you will look back and recognize symptoms from 6-10 years ago, once you know what you are looking for as you get educated about it. I plan on getting evaluated on my next doctor's visit, and do so periodically. My mother and her mother both had Alzheimers, and my mother ALSO has symptoms of vascular dementia. We can thankfully still hold a conversation, but she gropes for words and can no longer do most simple tasks. Reading is a struggle, writing is now gone, even her own name. I could go on but won't. The symptoms depend on the areas of the brain that are damaged and are unique to each individual.

The drugs will slow the progress of the disease quite a bit for some people. My mother got back her ability to read for a couple of years and just recently lost the ability to write. She can still read, but can't follow a complicated plot in a novel, so reads books that are a series of anecdotes rolled into a story. Her older sister picks them out for her and passes them along.

Get her evaluated. Then you will know better how to proceed.

Yes, my folks are using the natural treatments, too, but the damage has been done. I think the combo of natural and pharmaceutical has really slowed the progress of the disease way down, as she is doing better than she should be and her doctors are mystified.

I liked the book, The 36 Hour Day. Very useful info for caregivers and family members.

Meanwhile, :hugs

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks Free. I had a feeling she would need more than natural treatments. I can't say anything until I see her tomorrow, and if I can, I will slip it into conversation, and also talk to my sis who sees her more often. But from what my dad is saying, and those are only two examples, it is apparent now. So, I will be saying something this week. Alzheimers is a terrible thing, so if we can minimize the affects of the disease, I dont care if I step on her toes by saying something. I would also be inclined to think i could get my dad on board since he is the one who will have to live with her.

GaFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My Mom was 67 when she was diagnosed too. She started taking the drugs that are supposed to help and while they did help her memory she lost her appetite and lost 60 pounds in a matter of a few months. The doctor cut her dosage and she has really done much better ever since. Her memory has stabilized and she is eating again. There is hope out there. She might not ever be 100% again but there is hope that the meds will slow it down enough that she can live several more years of a 'normal' life. I will be praying for you and your mom.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You've already gotten some good advice, so all I can say is :hugs :hugs

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey there.
I was a Gerontological Nurse for many years and was the Health Care Coordinator for an Alzheimer's Day Center.

Getting her evaluated is the first step. There are over 30 different disease processes that can manifest as dementia or 'forgetfulness'. Getting an MRI of the brain to look for the protein plaques is key. If they are not there then it could be a symptom of another disease.

miss_thenorth....I applaud you for keeping on top of the situation and doing due diligence to help your dad!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, I have to give credit to my dad for venting to me. I really don't see her often enough to observe this on my own. (well, never thought ot look for it, but now I will be more aware) But given the fact of what he told me, yes definitely action need to be taken. You all have given me alot to go on, and I am heading out in a few hours to have dinner with them. It will be part of the dinner conversation today.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Free gave great advice and there are a few meds, if given earlier on, which may be able to slow down the progression for her. Acting on it quickly and educating the family on what to expect is important....some families get into big denial over symptoms and it just makes it harder. It happened in my family.

ALZ is a terrible disease...of all the diseases I see as a nurse, I hate that one the worst. My dad has it and is progressing quickly now....the other day he asked my mom if they were married and if they had any kids. They've been married for 59 years and they have nine kids. :(

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, I got back from dinner about an hour ago. We went down to Sarnia, where my sil and sis live. I visited with my sil first, and helped her put a few ducks in the freezer. I told my mom that. she laughed and commented on my choice of wording--knowing full well we whacked a coupla ducks, but wanted to be polite around my city-fied nieces. :lol: So, about an hour later, I was talking to my sis, telling her Iwas at sil's place today, and mom said, oh? did you go to Sue's? And, she called my Liz, who is my moms sister, granted, I have been called Liz before, we sort of look alike. So not sure whether that is a sign or not.

So, when Mom was in helping sis with dishes, I said to dad tht he needs to get mom in to be assessed and she needs to be out on meds right away. He is afraid to confont her about this. He wants me to say something. I will give him a few days, and if he doesn;t say anything, I am going to go sown there and talk to her, and ask her to please get assessed and on meds.

ALZ, is absolutely horrible. I am completely devastated tha she might have it. It is hard on the person, and on the family who has to care for them. but I'm sure she is displaying signs of it. Hopefully she will agree to get assessed, hopefuly it will not be a struggle. I know she knows too, I could tell by her expression when we discussed certain things (the example I gave you was not he only instance of memory loss during the visit.)
I am so not looking forward to this--the talk or the next decade or two of her life if she does indeed have it.