Being prepared or HOARDING?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Congratulations! That is an awesome accomplishment. You demosntrate exactly what this is all about.

noobiechickenlady said:
If I am prepared, I am one less person in need during a crisis. If I choose to help someone else, that is my choice. Big difference between individuals helping each other (which is what would happen in my neighborhood and among my friends) and the government taking the hard earned belongings of private citizens. Thinking ahead is not a crime nor is it immoral. It is also not an excuse for others to steal from me whether or not they do it themselves or use the government to do it for them.
My income puts me at just above poverty level. I am also partially disabled. For those and other reasons, I fall into the demographics described. Yet, with ingenuity, thrift, and just plain old hard work, I have stockpiled enough food and supplies to carry me and my family (eight total) through six months of no income at all. I started in June.

If one comes across a person or family in need, it should be a personal decision what, if any, aid is given. Charitable work cannot and should not be mandated.
:clap My family is also below the poverty level. I'm just starting to get intense about it, but I am already suprised by the amount I've been able to put up. A couple dollars here and there adds up over time. A couple of bags of beans instead of the 12 pack of sodas. A bag of rice instead of a magazine. I shop Scratch & Dent stores for boxed goods & pasta. I barter with friends for extra groceries. A friend often pays me for babysitting & rides to places with grocery money. That is the money I use to buy stuff at the farmer's market & dry or can. We refuse to get on government assistance, even though we qualify. One less place for Big G to stick their nose in my business.

On the other hand. The gumdrops were a little much...

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
didnt somebody post a GREAT preparedness site that lives you a one year shopping list for stocking up - for $5 at a time?

wow it was great and i've been using it (loosely) when i shop. nothing wrong with doing it a little at a time

:)

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan. Load it all up in a little trailer behind a 4 wheeler or lawn tractor- doesn't have to all be done at once- just bring a bunch, go back and empty as you are able, and cover it all up.

SimplyForties said:
The problem with dumping it is that botulism lives in the soil. These are jars of spoiled produce, which could contain any number of bacteria, hence my concerns. It's the dumping, not the washing I'm having trouble with. I'm working on my chicken/guinea coop now so the spring house is on my mind, not in my hands just yet :). Maybe once the leaves drop I can go up in the woods a bit and dig a pit and dump the contents.

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
didnt somebody post a GREAT preparedness site that lives you a one year shopping list for stocking up - for $5 at a time?

wow it was great and i've been using it (loosely) when i shop. nothing wrong with doing it a little at a time

If you can find it, please repost!!!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:

I would LOVE to see this site.

Also, different topic, sorta.
We have a storm shelter underground. It's really damp, and not the best place to horde...I mean... STORE... extra food. But I would really like some suggestions on how to damp-proof (is that a word?) this shelter. It would be a perfect root cellar. I've heard of a paint I could paint the walls and ceiling (all concrete).

any ideas?

Myga

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
ohiofarmgirl said:

We have a storm shelter underground. It's really damp, and not the best place to horde...I mean... STORE... extra food. But I would really like some suggestions on how to damp-proof (is that a word?) this shelter. It would be a perfect root cellar. I've heard of a paint I could paint the walls and ceiling (all concrete).

any ideas?
Basement sealant. If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, you can call around to the local pest control agencies and they will often times have the service.
It's pretty simple though. You clean off the area (dirt, dead bugs, all that) and you paint it on, let it soak in and dry, then reapply three (I think..) times. You could then follow it with a glossy coat in order to make cleaning easier, which can be tricky with bumpy and cool basement-ish walls.

Re: the old canned foods; I would suggest either waiting until summer and setting them in the sun for several days, so they heat up and cool over and over again, then composting them. Alternately you could build a pallet container and throw it all in there to decompose (maybe with some litter/leaves/something absorbent), then when its done you could burn the entire structure, giving you some good dirt.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
ohiofarmgirl said:

any ideas?
Most root veggies prefer a damp...not wet...environment, hence the dirt floors in the old root cellars. The humidity needed to successfully store roots will rust the lids of your canning jars. Also, some veggies like it a bit warmer and dryer, so it is helpful to know the zones of your area....it is usually warmer and dryer near the ceiling, cooler and damper near the floor of a good root cellar.

Pumpkins will rot faster in a root cellar, too. They like it a bit warmer and a lot dryer.

I bought a thermometer with a humidistat at TSC and placed it around my cellar so I would know what to store and where. For once, my damp, flood-prone basement is a good thing. No more canned goods are stored there, however. Upstairs!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
If those canned goods are disgusting or you don't think it's safe for any reason-
Empty them into a trash burning barrel or pit with some leaves and stuff to absorb liquid some and light em up. Compost the ashes later.
Myga was right about sanitizing by fire. I just hate seeing good pallets burn. They make good project wood.

edited for typo

farmer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I wonder how many of these have money put back, ai 401K's savings accounts, pensions, ect. and yet don't consider that hording money. If you only need a months worth of food at a time how much money then do you really need. If you have too much at any one time should the goverment take for the betterment of those who don't have it.

Personally i'll take the years worth of food, you can eat your money.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Organized my preps this past week. Ended up with six cabinets and one closet for the home canned foods and three built in shelves in another closet for the commercially prepared stuff. Non food preps went into the newly cleaned garage, and stuff with long term dates (5-25 years) went in a spare closet, behind the grandkids' toys. I forgot to photograph that before I piled the toys in.

Picture200.jpg

Picture127.jpg

Picture194.jpg

Picture192.jpg

Picture404.jpg

Picture403.jpg

Picture398.jpg

Picture399.jpg