Bento boxes

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Over on BYC there's an old thread devoted to bento boxes. I used to have a lot of fun participating in that one. Now that DS is a little older cute bento lunches aren't quite as appreciated as they used to be, but they are fun for me to make! I thought with school starting up for a lot of our kiddos maybe we could have a similar thread over here. I will be looking for ways to make DS's home lunches fun for him since he is so limited in what he can eat with 13 food allergies and sensitivities. Someone on a Facebook bento page shared pictures of cute little penguins made from black olives, cream cheese and bits of carrot and peppers for feet and beak, etc. I want to try these out of dark grapes and goat's milk yogurt cheese or chevre for DS. He hates olives but I think I could make these work for him with the grapes. Not sure what to use for the orange bits though. Carrots and peppers definitely go better with olives!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What's a bento box? :hide

since I have never heard of them I'm assuming my children have never had one... ROFL

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It's a Japanese lunch box. They have compartments and sometimes stackable. The food that gets put in them can be a work of art! The best thing to do is google images of bento boxes!

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a sweet idea! We've had Bento box at the sushi place we go to but I never thought about making a cute one for kids. You're such a good mommy!!!

About the most clever thing I ever did was Ants on a Log and London Fog (to drink)
If I was really feeling creative I'd stuff some dates with cream cheese. Course all that was over 20 yrs ago....

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Bento are still the rage. My high school niece would give a LOT to have me there making her bentos every day!!!

Use carrots. *nod nod*

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yeah, carrots and grapes will be fine together.
Here, I stole a picture to show how cute they are:
penguinolives.jpg

One of our favorites is rabbit apples:
http://lunchinabox.net/2007/12/13/how-to-make-apple-rabbits/

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No little kids here, but I sometimes try to make our occasional picnic lunches in the bento style. This site - http://www.justbento.com/ - has some ideas, both for kids' boxes, and also with more adult themes.