Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
'Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things' by Charles Panati

Ditto on 'Pride and Prejudice'.

'The Catcher In The Rye' may be too mature for 15yo's, especially if her father wants no x-rated books.

Is Erma Bombeck considered literary learning? :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I sure would consider Erma Bombeck a must read. ;)
How about The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank (or something like it)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Has she read Watership Down? I read when I was a bit younger than she is, but read it again in HS and got even more out of it.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
What a great thread! I have a home schooler at our house and also just bought a kindle and a lot of these books are available for free on it.

My favorite books are The Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel. There are some parts of book two and three especially that have quite a bit of graphic sex unfortunately, so they would be appropriate for only a young adult. I do see that you have listed Stranger in A Strange Land however, which covers quite a bit of open-minded sexual undertones that might be considered inappropriate, but my favorite SciFi book is actually a different one by Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, which I have found interesting enough to read many times.

Gone with the Wind is another of my favorite books and you have it listed.

While I would not put it on a list of my favorite books, I have read and enjoyed the book Aztec by Gary Jennings mentioned. It does have very gross details on certain aspects of Aztec life, but if you just read a few pages out of context it would perhaps not give you the whole feeling of the story, which was that you were there experiencing everything those days and that culture experienced. I would not think his novels appropriate for teenagers but are an interesting way of teaching history to adults with a curious mind. He has a book about Marco Polo that was how I learned about him in a much more detailed and entertaining way than any textbook. I believe it is called Journeyer and also is not for the kiddies, as he goes into all aspects of life in those days including sexual customs.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about what everyone is reading! How about books on being self sufficient?

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would recommend "Lucy" by Donald Johanson (it's an entertaining science archeology book about the search for human origins)

Also, "Nicholas & Alexandra" about the last czar of Russia and his family.

A Tale of Two Cities is my absolute favorite and has a lot to teach about the real meaning of unconditional love.

You probably have "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee on your list, but I'll include it just in case.