best books list

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The lists are so extensive, it is hard to add to them! Does she enjoy animals? The "All Creatures" series by James Herriot are very safe and a fast read.

If she likes horses, Dick Francis wrote many, many books that are smart and well-written and well-researched. Not all have a racing background, and I've learned a lot about several different industries by reading his books. A bit of sex and violence, but pretty tame compared to a lot of the lists.

I read Island of the Blue Dolphins when I was in fifth grade, but it was a favorite book of survival and a young girl's strength, and is based on a true story.

Nourishing Traditions, of course, lest she become a vegan, she is fifteen, after all.

Roots by Alex Haley.

Facing the Lion by Simone Arnold Leibster and her husband's book, also called The Crucible by Max Leibster. True stories of surviving the Nazis during WWII. Any similar books. It seems to be almost forgotten. It mustn't be.

The most controversial, the Bible. Even if not Christian, it has undeniably influenced a large population of the world. I recommend finding a translation that is modern language as opposed to a version. Translations are closer to the oldest manuscripts, and versions reflect the beliefs of the one(s) authorizing it, with many changes from the oldest manuscripts. Don't bring this one to school. Contains sex and violence, also peace and order and good rules. Some stories that I'm amazed that Hollywood hasn't used, and some that they have and I am amazed at the changes as the original is better. Isn't it always?

Oh, speaking of books vs movies, I loved Seabiscuit.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
David Brin's uplift series...

Startide Rising is my favorite book from that series.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
As a young person, I enjoyed Marguerite Henry and Walter Farley's horse books, the Chronicles of Narnia, Nesbit's books and The Little House on The Prarie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't recall seeing LM Montgomery's books on there, but there's the whole Anne of Green Gables series, as well as the Emily of New Moon, Jane of Lantern Hill, the Blue Castle and others.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
WOOT! You guys are awesome.

And Nourishing Traditions is on my buy list anyway LOL. I'll make her give that one back ;)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
When I was that age I liked a lot of Charlotte Perkins Gilman's stuff, especially The Yellow Wallpaper. Really anyone from the mid 1800's to early 1900's who committed suicide.

I agree with Free, almost any book about the holocaust, I have a collection of about 20-30.

Some others old and new that I really liked;
Life of Pi
Macbeth
The Wind in the Willows
The Tillerman Cycle (I actually read these starting at about 8 until I finally found the last two books at 15)

Anything by Agatha Christie, Erma Bombeck,

Oh, and The Fifth Sacred Thing, some violence and quite a bit of free love, but a rather good book in my opinion.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The grass is always greener over the spetic tank is a classic :D