Best foods to stock up on?

daniel-delarosa

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
What are the best foods to stock up on that have the longest shelf life and that can be purchased at any supermarket? I read that Hormel products have an indefinite shelf life. Is this true?
Im far from a 2012-world ending fanatic, but Id like to stock up just in case. My wife is a coupon freak, so we have a ton of non-food items. What else would be good to stock up on?

AZ Rabbits

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Are you looking for already canned foods or are you looking at canning your own and buying in bulk (like rice, beans, wheat, etc)?

RicknLauraplus8

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The thing we keep the closest eye on in our food storage is our water. With 10 people in our family we have A LOT of it! I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for but I thought I'd give my thoughts on it. After water is canned vegetables and dry rice, to us anyways.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We do alot of rice and dry beans. They're both good long term food storage items. Noodles are another that has a pretty lengthy shelf life as well. Then there are other grains such as wheat, corn, oats, barley, etc. that have a good shelf life if stored properly and can be ground into meal and flour if needed. I would only store the items you know you'll eat. I try to concentrate on several kinds of canned meats as well in case freezers go out, things like salmon, tuna, beef jerkies, etc. that have long shelf lives as well. Don't forget the dried spices!! You may need something to flavor the stuff when you get tired of plain rice :lol: Honey is a good long term viable sweetener too.

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Flour, sugar, salt, noodles (Although you could make your own), beans, rice

Do you grow your own garden? Canning and dehydrating are a great way to stock up on fruits, veggies, and meats

I try to keep at least 6-12 months supply on hand at all times, so I am always putting up. I have found that we go through a lot of sugar, and am trying to find ways to stop that.

I wouldn't reccomend buying prepackaged crap that is flooded with chemicals and preservatives. I would stay far away from Hormel products.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ditto. Canned meat products have a LOT of sodium. Not good for your health and you'll need to increase your water intake. Tuna with no added salt should be ok. Buy almost-expired meat and make your own jerky (will preserve it). Make your own soup with meats you get on sale, and can them. We eat a lot of dried fruits and veggies here, plus are gluten-free so here's what we stock up on:
-dried fruit, particularly my kid's fav: blueberries, mango, blackberries
-canned fruit with no added sugar (kid goes through 1-2 cans per day!)
-grains: rice, quinoa, amaranth, millet
-dehydrated peas
-dried beans/split peas/lentils
-dried soup veggies, dried spinach and parsley, onion, garlic
-gluten-free pastas
-vinegar (to make a simple farmer's cheese)
-dark chocolate chips, dum-dum suckers (with kids, necessary)
-spices and herbs, salt, sugar, honey, baking soda, yeast, coffee, tea

Remember, focus on stocking up on those things you can't produce or make yourself.

But, don't waste your time or money on kool-aid-type drinks or other prepackaged things. Learn to like water or homemade juice from homegrown apples, etc. Grow your veggies and start canning. It's not too late, even if you might kinda think something might happen Dec 2012. We're planting lots of fruit bushes, brambles and trees, and several nut trees. The trees won't bear this year, but the bushes and brambles will so I'm planning on doing a LOT of canning and dehydrating!

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think that just the fact that you are thinking about stocking up puts you a little ahead of the game. :D

daniel-delarosa

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I do grow my own garden, but I have never thought of canning anything. I guess I need to find some info on it and give it a try. We have been trying to do the "homemade" thing with what we can so we aren't so dependent on store bought items that are packed with who knows what.

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
daniel-delarosa said:
I do grow my own garden, but I have never thought of canning anything. I guess I need to find some info on it and give it a try. We have been trying to do the "homemade" thing with what we can so we aren't so dependent on store bought items that are packed with who knows what.
If you are on Facebook there is a group called Canning - we now have over 3000 members- some aren't canners yet, some just started, some have been doing it for a few years, and some can't remember not canning. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2261906796/

This year is the first year I have canned meats, and I love it. Hubby got 2 deer this past November and we canned a bit of it to try - best ever! Tastes just like a beef roast that has cooked all day long. It litterally just falls apart and has no gamey smell or taste about it. Most don't believe it is even deer!

I canned up some broiler chickens earlier in the spring and they have come in super handy when making a quick soup or tacos. I don't like wasting anything, so I can anything that can be put into a jar. I recently started saving all bones and fat that I cut off steaks before I cooked them - made a broth with them the other day - great for making gravy.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Anything that WE here at the homestead cannot produce, stock it in the pantry. Such as Flour, Sugar, Brown Sugar, Crisco, Peas, Yeast, Salt, Black Pepper, Dry Milk, Dry Beans, etc. If you are 'prepping' don't forget useful items and supplies. Such as sewing supplies, lye for soup making, rennet for cheese making, bleaches, etc.