Best foodstuff to stockpile?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some from 2 yrs ago., still good, not rancid. I put four 1/2 gallon jars in a spare (egg & milk) frig after it had been jarred up. HOT jars, HOT lard, tops on, upside down jars, waited about 45 min & uprighted them. Cooled about 24 hrs & it was solid. I left it out a week or two on the table then into frig with the 4 large ones. Don't know how long it will keep. :rolleyes:

I really NEED to use it more often but I don't fry much or even bake a lot for one. I am using on a quart jar of it now that had been in with lrgr, then starting on the others :D Guess I need to have a "fry daddy" weekend.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was told to put a bit of water in first, to keep the lard from turning brownish and porky-smelling. Next time I won't worry about that :(

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The water at first is to keep it from sticking, I believe. BUT if you start with a warm heat, it melts enough not to stick. The water steams out during render but, I have never put any in.

Canning under pressure should keep it for many years. Mine are sure tight lidded! But did not use canner.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm with you on shelving it! My kitchen frig is small but, I bought a spare (used) for my back porch...eggs & milk. So I have a little space. Probably coul leave out as the seals are tight! But, don't need to. What I NEED to do is use it! :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some things that I've had good thought on while on the long disappearance lol
While their not "foodstuff" right away it wouldn't hurt to have some packs of seeds in the storage areas, if it's a long haul situation having at least some would be good
Corn, beans, squash, pumpkins, cabbage. All good long storing food once grown (if properly put up)
Some quick seeds like lettuce, radish, kohlrabi while waiting for the longer griwing plants and kinda in betweeners like carrots, broccoli and greens for variety are all good too and most can be prepared for storage too
Where ya' been for so long? :) glad that you are back!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@DconBlueZ At the time I posted that it was there; but if you do a search, there are several sites that give the same general directions.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've heard it said that bread was invented when someone burned the beer, lol
I've heard it said that bread was invented when someone burned the beer, lol

Kind of makes me think, what I could do with spent malted grains? I eat a handful, they were mighty tasty and chickens sure do love them. Maybe next time I brew, I might try and mix some in with pretzel dough and see how they turn out? Any other ideas?

I bet shoveling spent grain at a brewery is a young man's job.
IMG_20200208_161855585.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are recipes on line for making dog biscuits out of them. That would be a great cottage industry for a kid... or any human, for that matter!