Best foodstuff to stockpile?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been thinking about caches lately. If the guvment boys came through to confiscate food for "redistribution", or if someone broke in and stole your stockpile when you weren't there (or even if you were), a cache or two could make a huge difference in survive-ability. One idea I had was to get hold of some old ice boxes and bury them in strategic areas, each stuffed with some of the "bare bones" goods that I had listed before, maybe in mylar bags with oxy absorbers to increase life span. These would be for long-term, purely emergency goods, because they would not be very accessible in the usual way, lol.

chicken girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I read somewhere about using pvc pipe. Put canned goods in and cap them, bury in your garden. They may raid your garden but never think of digging it up. I've also wondered about burying plastic coolers with canned goods inside? I can't do an ice box as I live alone.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chickens & goats are my #1 for food production. Great protein, easy to maintain as they eat/forage "crap" type food. They produce daily & with multi functional food. Think about it.

A garden is great, orchards for fruit/nuts, water source. But chickens & goats really provide with what may be the least input & do the work of keeping it fresh/contained, also. Daily milk & eggs -- multi uses, excellent food composition. Easily handled.

:old

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well stated, @Marianne You are a wise woman!
:yuckyuck No more than others that are here, I'm sure!

I thought of something else that may have been mentioned...
Unless you're lucky enough to live in a place where you can grow food 12 months out of the year, then a few extra steps are necessary at this point. I'm a firm believer that almost every area has what they need to support life. So, here in Kansas, during the winter, how would I get:
Vit C? Stored cabbage and canned tomatoes.
B vitamins if I'm not eating meat or don't have any? Dried beans/legumes, nuts, cheese. Etc, etc.

That kind of information could be important. So I could make a printed sheet with information like this, plus recipes on how to make cheeses, how to make rennet for those cheeses, etc. Like I told my grandson some years ago, he didn't have to do it now, he just needed to remember that he could do it if he needed to. And here's Grandma's binders with directions.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I honestly think I could survive a little while on some of the higher gravity German beers I've been brewing. Water, malted grains, hops and yeast, seems pretty healthy to me. So that's the best food stuff for me to stockpile. The key here is moderation though. Like most everything you don't want to let it get a hold of you.