Best foodstuff to stockpile?

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For me, shredded coconut. It lasts for ages and I use it in cooking and cakes. Not that I have been doing a lot of that lately - but if there are no shops about its something I need in my pantry. Cheap to buy in bulk too. I use a lot of coconut milk as well, the cans take up more room than the powder but they are easier to have on hand.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For me, shredded coconut. It lasts for ages and I use it in cooking and cakes. Not that I have been doing a lot of that lately - but if there are no shops about its something I need in my pantry. Cheap to buy in bulk too. I use a lot of coconut milk as well, the cans take up more room than the powder but they are easier to have on hand.
Actually, you can make your own coconut milk from the shredded coconut. I've only done it once, because I already have several cans in my pantry.
From Wellness Mama's site:
Ingredients
Instructions
  • Heat water until hot, but not boiling.
  • Put shredded coconut in blender or Vitamix and add the hot water. If all the water will not fit, this can be done in batches.
  • Blend on high for several minutes until thick and creamy.
  • First, pour through a mesh strainer to remove most of the coconut solids. Then squeeze through a towel or several thicknesses of cheesecloth to remove remaining pieces of coconut.
  • If you had to split the water into batches put all the coconut that you strained out back in the blender, add the remaining water, and repeat.
  • Drink immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days after making for best flavor and texture. Since there are no preservatives or fillers, the "cream" of the coconut milk may separate on the top if stored in the fridge. Just shake or stir before using.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, Meyenberg. They have that, liquid, in coolers with other milk. Saw it at a Kroger for $3.69 a qt. That's 14 a gallon. I'll give Brat & her 2 sisters a little extra treat at milking -- each is worth $28 a day :lol: Of course worth more than that to me.!! They did get staggered with kidding this year, so longer supply chain. Actually, one has yet to bag....either late kidding or unbred (doubt that!). Will start some scheduled milking next month.

Never tried canning milk but, would assume it would be like the condensed type in stores. Use to be that was the only thing used in your coffee. LOL Yes, good for cooking. I have a good amount of frozen from fresh. Need to start using that up since fresh is coming soon :D

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In a pinch, you could feed your pets from your own stores. I make my own dog food out of brown rice (I've used rolled oats before too), whatever vegetables (dried, frozen, no salt canned, fresh) I have on hand, and whatever cheap meat I can scrounge up (and I usually add one crushed up calcium supplement to the meal). We could eat it as well, but it would be very bland with no salt or seasonings and no onions or garlic.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read about putting some shelves inside the interior walls- the empty space created by using 2x4 studs makes a place just big enough for cans. It's another possibility, but would actually require more work in my case because every available wall has bookshelves or other large pieces of furniture.

@chicken girl I think I may have miscommunicated; I was thinking of a plastic cooler- I just used a different term than you did.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I saw a video online where a guy showed how he sealed his gun (I don't remember everything, but there was grease, and mylar, and PVC involved); he sank it into a pond and then pulled it out a year later for the video, and the gun came through with flying colors.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
All my good intentions flew out the window over the last few weeks and we managed to run out of a few essentials. Don't get sick :rolleyes: I'm working on restocking the pile at the moment. Especially things that can be stored a bit like coffee, sugar, tinned everything… Freezer space is very limited here, I find that frustrating. Time to learn to can a bigger variety of food stuff, I think.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
The hilarious thing we discovered in the midst of storm prep before we got 30" of snow (a record for our area) was that we were actually almost out of TP! I wasn't worried because I knew we'd be able to get dug out in a day, we had extra rolls in the barn, and I knew that someone in a house nearby would have more if I needed it. But, yeah, we almost did. That made me laugh. We had everything else we needed... except that!
My next really big goal is to get a freeze dryer. Freeze dried food lasts up to 20 years with almost no nutritional degradation AND you can process almost any food. Eggs, cheese, any meat, pumpkin, potatoes, veggies, prepared foods (lasagna anyone?), cream soups, desserts, MILK, and all sorts of other things that have much bulkier preservation methods, or no way at all to preserve. The thought that I could preserve raw greens by dehydrating would mean I could have smoothies or salads fresh in the middle of winter. THAT is worth the cost! I don't really have the space to put one in my house currently, but if I can save up enough money I'll be finding a way!