Best foodstuff to stockpile?

Cynthiadoz12

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes, I have a small flock right now..back yard chickens! Anyway, I think if anything was going on and food was hard to come by, the city wouldn't make a fuss if the numbers went up. I could find a few roosters for sure. ;) Trees, we have three apple trees, and a pear. I want a peach really bad! We do know how to do gardens. Getting older, have had many years of experience, just don't do a real big one now. But could if needed. Goats!! I would love to have some goats.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is an awesome thread. I store basics. Rice, beans, salt, mac-n-chease, water. I never have enough sugars or fats. We use our storage like a deep pantry and just replenish as we use it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
my heart broke today. I discovered a jar of home-made lard that went moldy. Apparently I didn't get enough water out before I canned it :hit

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh no, Britesea, that sucks :( It is a bit depressing when you can something and you open it and see it went off. Hopefully it's just one jar?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
my heart broke today. I discovered a jar of home-made lard that went moldy. Apparently I didn't get enough water out before I canned it :hit
How do you can your lard? I rendered lard today and got 4 quarts. I water bathed it to pop a seal. I didn't put any water in it when I rendered it. I just melted it low and slow. I strained it twice, the 2nd time with cheesecloth. How long will it keep?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some from 2 yrs ago., still good, not rancid. I put four 1/2 gallon jars in a spare (egg & milk) frig after it had been jarred up. HOT jars, HOT lard, tops on, upside down jars, waited about 45 min & uprighted them. Cooled about 24 hrs & it was solid. I left it out a week or two on the table then into frig with the 4 large ones. Don't know how long it will keep. :rolleyes:

I really NEED to use it more often but I don't fry much or even bake a lot for one. I am using on a quart jar of it now that had been in with lrgr, then starting on the others :D Guess I need to have a "fry daddy" weekend.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was told to put a bit of water in first, to keep the lard from turning brownish and porky-smelling. Next time I won't worry about that :(

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The water at first is to keep it from sticking, I believe. BUT if you start with a warm heat, it melts enough not to stick. The water steams out during render but, I have never put any in.

Canning under pressure should keep it for many years. Mine are sure tight lidded! But did not use canner.