Best foodstuff to stockpile?

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some things that I've had good thought on while on the long disappearance lol
While their not "foodstuff" right away it wouldn't hurt to have some packs of seeds in the storage areas, if it's a long haul situation having at least some would be good
Corn, beans, squash, pumpkins, cabbage. All good long storing food once grown (if properly put up)
Some quick seeds like lettuce, radish, kohlrabi while waiting for the longer griwing plants and kinda in betweeners like carrots, broccoli and greens for variety are all good too and most can be prepared for storage too

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And here's Grandma's binders with directions.
I've been trying to start a similar binder here! Most of it's currently recipes tho lol

I would love to peek into Grandma's Binders! I do appreciate everything that you share her on SS, @Marianne !
I agree! Anyway we could convince you for some wisdom from those pages?.? ;)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some things that I've had good thought on while on the long disappearance lol
While their not "foodstuff" right away it wouldn't hurt to have some packs of seeds in the storage areas, if it's a long haul situation having at least some would be good
Corn, beans, squash, pumpkins, cabbage. All good long storing food once grown (if properly put up)
Some quick seeds like lettuce, radish, kohlrabi while waiting for the longer griwing plants and kinda in betweeners like carrots, broccoli and greens for variety are all good too and most can be prepared for storage too
Where ya' been for so long? :) glad that you are back!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like some of the plant info we have seen appearing on various threads for health and personal/animal care. Many are natural plants & bushes that may not be "food" but have serviceable use.

Beauty berry & smartberry -- for instance -- both have bug protection for us/animals, eating qualities for animals & we can eat the Beauty berry. Elderberries, wild blackberries, blueberries, nuts, plantain, dandelions, on & beyond foraging, health benefits. So, keeping some list of things would be beneficial in one of those binders. It would give guidance to hunt them. In times of stress, we often don't think of such things as what may be there, just not in our "possession".

OK, in times of aging we don't either... :lol:

I have books which tell you how to make find & collect water, sanitize it, make lye & test for strength, make vinegar, ferment for kraut & such veggies, make traps, etc., etc. OLD fashioned & survival ways that many don't always know to do. Winters I often scan thru them, vet & herbal books, etc.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like some of the plant info we have seen appearing on various threads for health and personal/animal care. Many are natural plants & bushes that may not be "food" but have serviceable use.

Beauty berry & smartberry -- for instance -- both have bug protection for us/animals, eating qualities for animals & we can eat the Beauty berry. Elderberries, wild blackberries, blueberries, nuts, plantain, dandelions, on & beyond foraging, health benefits. So, keeping some list of things would be beneficial in one of those binders. It would give guidance to hunt them. In times of stress, we often don't think of such things as what may be there, just not in our "possession".

OK, in times of aging we don't either... :lol:

I have books which tell you how to make find & collect water, sanitize it, make lye & test for strength, make vinegar, ferment for kraut & such veggies, make traps, etc., etc. OLD fashioned & survival ways that many don't always know to do. Winters I often scan thru them, vet & herbal books, etc.
List of book titles and authors please?