Best foodstuff to stockpile?

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think, you would need to get the spent grain pretty quickly. Right after they are drained (sparged) If you wanted to bake with them. Time and temperature is of the essence here.

I suspect they would sour pretty fast, if left wet in the open air to long. Maybe I'm talking about something I shouldn't be? Sour mash rye whiskey.

But hey who knows... if they do sour, they might even make a good sourdough bread? IDK, I'm just guessing... I'm not much of a cook so take what I say with a grain of salt and proceed with caution...

My mom would always kick me out of the kitchen, so I never learned how to cook much of anything.

I'm going to brew up an Irish Red Ale next weekend. And decided I'm going to try and make some bread with the spent grains as per the recipe in my prior post. I'll let you all know how the Brewers Bread turns out when I do.

The malted grains I'll be mashing for the Irish Red Ale are Maris Otter, Caramel and light roasted Barley. Will they make a decent Brewers Bread IDK... But I'm going to find out.

Ah! That might be a bit of a dent then lol
You know more than I do at the moment lol, I haven't brewed yet so I dont know the time frames for good spent grain and not yet 😅

Man that stinks! My mom pretty much just showed me how to boil water (ramen and mac n cheese) and cook an egg in the microwave and how to make hamburger helper, it was my grandpa who taught me just about all my kitchen skills, since he passed I've been working on improving my skills and know how and I plan on teaching all my kids, everyone deserves to know how to cook and how to cook well!

And yes please! I would love to know the results! 🧡🍞🧡

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will buy a large box of instant milk powder, and vac seal it in "mix a quart" sized portions. Years ago, we bought an instant milk powder called "Sanalac". It was fantastic, and even tolerable without adding anything extra if drank when chilled. But, I mixed it 1:1 with regular milk. It cut the milk bill considerably. What does the average consumer run to the store for? Milk, bread, eggs. I got the eggs covered, and can make bread. Powdered milk will keep us covered, and I bet we could go at least 2 months w/o visiting a store.

I still have a few packs of dried goat milk that I bought for my brother. My youngest niece had a cow milk issue and they wanted a milk for her cereal. He mixed it with hot water and gave it to her in a glass to try. It did not go over well. Mom tried to explain to him it needed chilled. I tried to explain same thing. Nope he decided it was just nasty because it was goat and gave back the rest.

All the dried milks taste pretty much the same. I've had cow, camel, and goat. Friend brought me back the camel from somewhere in the middle east that he picked up on a Navy cruise because he knows I like trying things like that.

I don't care much for them mixed up for drinking. I like to eat the powder and use for cooking. It's good to have some in the house just cor that.

I keep canned milk for bread as Grandma's recipe calls for it. She altered the original out of the book over the decades to what she prefered.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As for spent grains: When I was able to get them, what I didn't feed out to the flock immediately, I packed in gallon sized bags, and froze. If you have the freezer space, the spent grains could be packaged in what ever size would be a convenient use for you.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love the taste of powdered milk,, but it triggers migraines in me :( I have never seen powdered goats milk, but if I see it I will give that a go and test if I get the same reaction. It would be great to know, although lately I am in town every week for church so I just pick up fresh milk while there!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I've never seen powdered goat milk … but I've never looked for it either! I'll make it a point to look the next time I'm shopping. (if I remember...) Is it made by Meyenberg?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes that's the brand I bought.

I even like their canned goat milk, even though canning makes it have a strong flavor. It's awesome for making white sauce and casseroles.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, Meyenberg. They have that, liquid, in coolers with other milk. Saw it at a Kroger for $3.69 a qt. That's 14 a gallon. I'll give Brat & her 2 sisters a little extra treat at milking -- each is worth $28 a day :lol: Of course worth more than that to me.!! They did get staggered with kidding this year, so longer supply chain. Actually, one has yet to bag....either late kidding or unbred (doubt that!). Will start some scheduled milking next month.

Never tried canning milk but, would assume it would be like the condensed type in stores. Use to be that was the only thing used in your coffee. LOL Yes, good for cooking. I have a good amount of frozen from fresh. Need to start using that up since fresh is coming soon :D