Best plant guide?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good, though inexpensive, guide for edible/medicinal wild plants in the North East America region... Anyone have any suggestions?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have a Peterson field Guide book.

Edible Wild Plants
East/Central North America

By Lee Allen Peterson.

I have had it for over 10 years, and mine cost ~$30. Money well spent, imo I refer to it quite frezuently.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have probably a dozen books on the subject, but a book that I like a lot is: Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places

It's by the "Wildman" Steve Brill . He's pretty neat. It's got lots of cool recipes in it, and also good descriptions and drawings of lots of plants and their uses. The only thing I don't like about it, is the pictures are all black and white drawings. I prefer color photos to help identify plants, so I think supplementing this book with a good field guide, like one of Audubon's guides, or the Peterson guide miss_thenorth suggested, is a good idea.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
A book I would recommend for anyone wanting to ID plants, both edible and not is this book. http://www.eco-usa.net/other/reviews/newcomb.shtml It does you no good to know what the wild edibles are if you can't ID them, and many plants look similar. This book has a key in it. You answer 3 simple questions, and based on those, you come up w/a number. Using this number, you can normally figure out what the plant is.

Latest posts