CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
is that top edge secured by some other things than just glue? i can't quite tell from your description if that was bent before putting it on or if you glued it in place.

Yes, wood glue and 5 countersunk construction screws. I could just plug the hole with 5 3/8" wood button plugs but I think that looks tacky. So I decided to just veneer the top with a good clean piece of 3/16" thick white ash. I'll give it a more finished trim type look than buttons.

Bent 7/8" thick top with glue and screws
IMG_20191119_172719967.jpg

3/16" veneer to hide screw holes.
IMG_20191119_172826840.jpg

Veneer reveal close up, much better now 👍
IMG_20191119_172848429.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, wood glue and 5 countersunk construction screws. I could just plug the hole with 5 3/8" wood button plugs but I think that looks tacky. So I decided to just veneer the top with a good clean piece of 3/16" thick white ash. I'll give it a more finished trim type look than buttons.

Bent 7/8" thick top with glue and screws
View attachment 12724

3/16" veneer to hide screw holes.
View attachment 12725

Veneer reveal close up 👍
View attachment 12726

:) very nice.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Best shop tip besides high ceilings and lighting. A guy can never have enough clamps, especially spring clamps :) they are like an extra set of thumbs. If I recall correctly, Menard's had them on sale 2 for a dollar several years ago, I bought 60 of them then. I store them in a 5 gallon bucket under my shop table for a quick grab when I need a few.
IMG_20191119_194157549.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a beautiful family heirloom you're building. What a blessed baby. ☺

It's odd that every granddaughter gets a 3 in 1 bed from paw paw. Granddaughter's mom doesn't even ask anymore, they just know i'm going to build one for my new granddaughter. I guess I kind of started a tradition. The best part is I get to reuse the crib spring platform and mattress from a prior granddaughter's 3 in 1 bed, since she's now big enough for the full size bed. That saves a lot of $$$ being able to reuse some store bought parts.

thistlebloom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's odd that every granddaughter gets a 3 in 1 bed from paw paw. Granddaughter's mom doesn't even ask anymore, they just know i'm going to build one for my new granddaughter. I guess I kind of started a tradition. The best part is I get to reuse the crib spring platform and mattress from a prior granddaughter's 3 in 1 bed, since she's now big enough for the full size bed. That saves a lot of $$$ being able to reuse some store bought parts.

That's wonderful! How many granddaughters do you have?
What would be the 3rd use of the bed? I figured out crib and juvenile bed (all by myself!) but am stumped by #3.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Best shop tip besides high ceilings and lighting. A guy can never have enough clamps, especially spring clamps :) they are like an extra set of thumbs. If I recall correctly, Menard's had them on sale 2 for a dollar several years ago, I bought 60 of them then. I store them in a 5 gallon bucket under my shop table for a quick grab when I need a few.
View attachment 12728

yeah! clamps are one of the helpers when trying to get something glued and held right. the neighbor up the road from us has a very nice wood shop that he doesn't use any more and it is full of all sorts of clamps. that was one of the first things i noticed when i went in there. hard not to drool... lol