CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's wonderful! How many granddaughters do you have?
What would be the 3rd use of the bed? I figured out crib and juvenile bed (all by myself!) but am stumped by #3.

I have 6 granddaughter's. The 3 in 1 bed is loosely based on set of plans below. After building a few, I just wing it now. Each is unique and a little bit different in design and wood choices (mainly what I have on hand).

Even the very first one, I drifted a little away from the plans, but now I'm way away from the plans. There's only a couple of critical measurements to make it convert from a crib to a toddler bed to a full size bed, the rest is free form to me.

GR-00524.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Clamps and ratchet straps. I don't think I could accomplish any wood working task without them.

Ratchet straps are awesome, almost required when doing any type of framing or deck building. They are so handy to make wood do what you want it to do, instead of what it wants to do.

The orange straps I had on the headboard were rated for 10,000 lbs and I had them so tight I could pluck a E on them waiting for the glue to dry.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ratchet straps are awesome, almost required when doing any type of framing or deck building. They are so handy to make wood do what you want it to do, instead of what it wants to do.

The orange straps I had on the headboard were rated for 10,000 lbs and I had them so tight I could pluck a E on them waiting for the glue to dry.

i have a reconditioned table here that has a split bottom shelf on it because i cranked the boards so tight when i was gluing them that the wood itself split when i released the clamps. oops. the glue held though! :)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!! @CrealCritter , beautiful work as always!
I can't change the ceiling height, but will be looking at different light options. Right now it has long flourescent bulbs. I'll definitely watch for more clamps. We've got lots of ratchet straps.
This project has been on hold briefly while we work on a new shed to store all the bikes, lawn mowers, weed eaters, and non-shop items. My husband is planning a two week "visit" to his dad out of state soon, and that's my time to transform his shop. He retires at the end of January.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Footboard or side, is moving right along... White ash, cherry slats to match the headboard. Lots of mortis and tendon work in the footboard, where as the headboard was a lot of rabbeting. There's still a couple things left to do before putting it in glue. But I have to stop and butcher mr. thanksgiving.
IMG_20191124_135241.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
footboard/side is in glue. My wife helped me get it glued up. Not complicated just 30 joints to glue. I put the glue bottle in the refrigerator last night. Cold wood glue has a longer working time, than warm glue does. So more time to work before it starts setting up. Hey, that's another shop tip o_O

IMG_20191125_172734.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally someone has an online calculator for fractions that ain't in decimals. Of course if we used the metric system instead of imperial for measurements, we wouldn't need it. I think the gov tried that in the Mid 70's and it almost started a civil war. What's a liter of gas??? What do you mean I need to multiply by 0.26417205236 or divide by 3.785411784??? You commies! I remember my dad saying Crater is trying to sell out the US.

Anyways bookmark it and love it, quick and easy access on your smart phone :)

Last edited:

Latest posts