Best Trade of the Year!!

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just had to share this, I was so excited by how I made out on my last bartering mission! There is an organic grain farmer that I have gotten to know well and buy my flour and dry goods from when I can. Well, she wanted some hemming, mending and flower gardens mulched and said she would pay me for the work. I was happy to do it for her, and got to thinking I would MUCH RATHER have her flour and beans and such. So I asked her if I could just work in trade.

She thought I was silly. She has a wharehouse full of the stuff...she grows it and mills it...in her words (with a French Canadian accent) "If I give you flour, it will be like you've worked for free! You should get more than just flour."

So, she gave me (and I'm gonna forget some things I'm sure).....

104 pounds -- assorted flour; whole grain HRS, Rye, Pastry, All Purpose
5 pounds -- Quinoa
5 pounds -- Kidney Beans
sample -- Red Lentils
1 pound -- Almonds
1 pound -- Walnuts
grape juice
2 pineapple juice
jar of applesauce
dried herbs
natural dishsoap
5 pounds -- dried peas
1 pound -- mung beans

And she has more things she wants done. She says next time I will need to take more nuts and expensive things. But I feel VERY WELL compensated for my time. What a generous lady.
4602_img_20120428_092319.jpg

Has anyone else had a great time bartering?? I would love to hear about it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
SWEET SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is right on one thing....you should get more. Don't undersell yourself. You both have great things to offer! I'd love that trade too!!!

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband barters what he can for things, this last winter the guy we buy wood from (when we have to buy) had his truck break down. Hubby delivered 2 cords of wood in our truck (took 4 trips but only 10 miles a trip) and we got a cord free! Cost us less than $50 to do.

I traded an EE roo for a EE pullet.... to me that was great! Anyone else need a roo?

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
My husband barters what he can for things, this last winter the guy we buy wood from (when we have to buy) had his truck break down. Hubby delivered 2 cords of wood in our truck (took 4 trips but only 10 miles a trip) and we got a cord free! Cost us less than $50 to do.

I traded an EE roo for a EE pullet.... to me that was great! Anyone else need a roo?
A roo for a pullet?!! That is a good trade!!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome score! I LOVE bartering. I traded some soaps for purple suede, a cutter attachment for my sewing machine and some other fabric. I'm also working out some trading of soaps/candles/lotion bars for hatching eggs... I have leads on all three of the types I want... Pekin ducks, silkies/showgirls and button quail. I'll be stoked if this works out.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hatch eggs in my incubator for half the chicks. Most that I am doing this with have breeds I want or are very sellable.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh... I few years ago at a flea market I was admiring some nicely tanned deer hides but I was too broke to buy any. I got to talking with the guy and he asked what I would do with them. I told him I can make some really cool beaded purses. I explained what they were and he was very interested. He said he had a bunch from the same place that had a little smoke damage but should work fine for what I wanted. All he wanted in exchange was one of the purses. I got 7 or 8 hides and I don't think they had that much damage! Sadly, It was a rough year for both of us. I got a few cut and was ready to start beading but wound up spending the better part of a month in the hospital. Then the holidays came and by the time I got his half beaded he had a heart attack and died. Even if it went through as planed it was a great trade. I really feel bad he never got to see the purse. I still have a few hides.

The thing with the pullet worked for both of us. He just lost his roo and needed a nice young stud and good protector. He had 20+ hens and wanted to breed. So I think the real winner was the roo! :lol: